square wave oscilloscope question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm just learning how to use my oscilloscope with a homebrew wave generator (with ic xr2206).

I attached one channel to the output of the generator, the other to the output of the amplifier. Also, the amp's output goes to a 8R dummy load (75W rating).

Sine wave tests seemed ok. I superposed both inputs and they looked the same to me. I did not noted any anomalies.

But, I get this picture with a 10 kHz square wave. Is it ok?

Thanks for your comments.

M.

Attachments

• x1.jpg
    x1.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 138
First thing to do is calibrate your probe.

Connect the probe to the square wave generator which should be on the front of the scope. It's a little hook or prong with a hole in it.

The probe should have a little preset adjuster that will accept a small screwdriver blade. Adjust the setting to get the best compromise between rounding and overshoot. You'll see what I mean.

w

Someone should make a video of this procedure to make it easier to understand. Some probes have multiple adjustments, both on the probe tip and in the connector end.

Do NOT touch the adjustment points in the connector end!! its the screw in the tip end that sets the damping.

Thanks

Hi guys,

Thank you for your kind and helpful replies (and mainly your patience).

I did not know about this calibration procedure. I thought it was a fault in the amp.

I've just downloaded the oscilloscope's user manual and understood what you have told me. I'll perform it tomorrow.

I'm attaching pictures about it, maybe someone else could find it useful.

Thanks again.

Best Regards,

M.

Attachments

• connector.png
    connector.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 118
  • adjustment.png
    adjustment.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 114
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.