Pioneer Sx-1980 Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a powering up Sx-1980, but no sound, so removed the bottom plate to see that most of the small capacitors are all swollen / bubbled, and all the plastic wrap has all shrunk on them.

I am not sure if the amplifier is worth fixing or not. None of the fuse's are blown, and lights all power up. However the relays don't click, probably because the protection circuit is toast, I am assuming that this board is the board that protects the main amplifier part of this unit.

Can some one help with some tests or ideas if this is fixable, or should i just part it out to those who need parts ?

Jase

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

Attachments

• pioneerSX1980.jpg
    pioneerSX1980.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 133
The big silver faced Pioneers are worth quite a bit to collectors. I had an SX1250 and it fetched good money on ebay. The SX1980 was the biggest and baddest of the era.

It's definitely worth repairing.
I have repair the SX1980 for my brother 1 year ago; in the aera of the discrete voltage regulators you will find many "hot spots" through termal overloading. After replace the caps in this aeras and cleaning the variable capacitor in the FM front end the device work very fine.
My english isn't good. What means this:
...and baddest of the era.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.