Microphone self-noise

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It won't help the self noise; that's a consequence of the physics of the transducer. But since you're eliminating the leads, it will prevent common-mode noise pickup from that source. There still might be an advantage to running the output of the preamp balanced, minimizing common-mode noise pickup further down the chain.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Common-Mode Signals Defined:
When referenced to the local common or ground, a common-mode signal appears on both lines of a 2-wire cable, in-phase and with equal amplitudes. Clearly, a common-mode signal cannot be present if one of the lines is connected to local common. Technically, a common-mode voltage is one-half the vector sum of the voltages from each conductor of a balanced circuit to local ground or common. Such signals can arise from one or more of the following sources:

* Radiated signals coupled equally to both lines,
* An offset from signal common created in the driver circuit, or
* A ground differential between the transmitting and receiving locations.

Attachments

• G019.pdf
    106.8 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
@ toddboyle; Perhaps I've misused the terminology

The term 'common mode' refers to transmission lines not devices.

Although MEGA-amp's statement here appears not to agree:

Such signals can arise from...
* An offset from signal common created in the driver circuit,
(my emphasis)

Probably my qustion would have been phrased better as:

"what percantage of the noise eliminated by the common mode rejection of a balanced microphone preamp originates in the microphone capsule rather than being contributed by the cable?"

Anyway, Sy appears to have understood what I was getting at.

It won't help the self noise; that's a consequence of the physics of the transducer.

So an unbalanced single-ended mic pre won't be outperformed by a more complicated balanced design in this instance. That will make my life easier. :)

There still might be an advantage to running the output of the preamp balanced, minimizing common-mode noise pickup further down the chain.

Yup, since I'm planning to use this thing onstage balanced line output on XLR will be mandatory. SSM2142 or DRV134 look right, are available to me, and should be easy enough to wire up.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.