Circuit Diagram / Schematic & Full Manual 4 Crown Ic-150 Pre Amp Wanted

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guy's.

A short while ago I landed myself a Crown IC150 preamp to go with my DC300a.
The sound produced by this combination is superb & much better than I ever expected ! The bass in particular is very impressive , my Tannoy DMT-12 II's luv it !!

Thing is , as the IC 150 was made some time b4 CD players were thought of , it doesn't really have an ideally suited input for this medium. Therefore I would like to modify the AUX input accordingly. Hence my request for a circuit diagram.

A manual would also be very useful.

Would prefer originals and am happy 2 pay a fair price.

Thanx

Crown has many of their legacy manuals available from their website.

You might want to change the IC's to the LM4562 -- these are available in TO-99 -- LM4562HA -- you can put the other ones back in if you don't like the difference.

I pooged my IC-150 with the LM4562's, new gold RCA's, and Super Regulators, mU metal shielding of the power supply and it sounded magnificent. The RIAA still leaves a bit to be desired.

http://www.tech-diy.com/Preamplifiers/CrownPooge.htm

thermal runaway said:
Thanks for that info. I was wondering about the ic's !
The RCA's were on the upgrade list as the originals r nicely oxidised.
Hadn't thought about PSU screening though. Where would I obtain Mu metal ?

it's far from a necessity to shield the power supply !!!

you can get mU materials from the company -- but the sample kit is pretty expensive -- http://www.mushield.com/ -- it's a little difficult to work with in that if you bend or kink the material it loses a lot of its shielding prowess. the transformer in the IC-150 is shielded to begin with and I had some laying around from fixing up a Tek SG505.

MuShield suggests that if you are DIY'ing try shielding with a piece of aluminum foil before laying out $180 for the shielding kit.

"I pooged my IC-150 with the LM4562's, new gold RCA's, and Super Regulators, mU metal shielding of the power supply and it sounded magnificent. The RIAA still leaves a bit to be desired."

This was a long time ago but interested in how an LM4562 DUAL op amp went into a SINGLE op amp socket. Pins are all off unless you destroy the integrity of the unit. As would changing to gold RCA's. Surely new nickel plated would have been cheaper and done the job? Crown deserves a better history.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Don't know which version of IC 150 you have, the earliest used UA 739 op amp and both phono and line amps are awful designs. The chassis is worth a full mechanical and electrical rebuild - nice home for a Pass DIY with new jacks and volume controls , but don't waste your time on the original circuit. Later ones were better and could host op-amp upgrades.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.