Kicad new domain

According to the KiCad web site,

"Digi-Key Electronics purchased the kicad.org domain name, which was being used by its previous owner
to serve malware, and redirected it to the main KiCad website at kicad-pcb.org."

Digikey did that in 2020 (very nice of them). Since then, KiCad started using the new domain name kicad.org, because they had no control of the old domain name (kicad-pcb.org). Now someone else bought the old name kicad-pcb.org, set up an older copy of the kicad.org web site (you can see that blog posts are older on that site) and so far they have removed info how to validate downloads. Clearly someone up to some mischief. The only thing missing now is packages with virus and spyware (but downloads are still pointed to the valid kicad packages).

I wonder how it is possible to use the KICAD name for one's own site.

I had an issue with my site in 2013: An idiot registered the UK version of my domain, stole my site, copied and modified the content and named ME as the owner - just to illegally sell UGG boots over it. Neither the US nor the UK authoroties did anything to stop them.

Authorities are mostly helpless. In this case Kicad has registered their trademark to the Linux Foundation, which requested web host/registrar to take the fake site down. But scammers could keep playing cat and mouse if they wanted. Now the fake site is down and domain for sale, so seems that they didn't bother any more.