AutoTRAX DEX-PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AutoTrax was originally the name for Protel's PCB editor. If you're up for some nostalgia, try running AutoTrax under a DOS emulator, such as DOSBox. It's free!

Protel Autotrax - low cost PCB CAD

I grew up with this stuff. For the longest time I rarely touched the mouse under Windows versions of Protel, as my original DOS machines had no mouse, so _everything_ was done by the keyboard. Want to place a track - PT does that. PS Place String, PV Place Via. EMG edits polygon pours, etc etc. It's mostly muscle memory. You move around with the cursor keys - arrows move one grid position, numeric keypad moves ten. + and - (numeric pad) changes layers, page up and page down zooms in and out. Once you got the hang of it, you could build boards _fast_.

What made that technique painful was mixed technology boards. DIP was fine - 50 mil grid, pads on 100 mil centres. SOIC just halved that, with 50 mil pitch and 25 mil grid. Then you put a component on with 2mm pitch, and everything falls to pieces. That's why they invented mice, I think.

Ah, yes, the transition from DOS to Windows. I was a little stubborn in the beginning until I realized that resistance was futile.

The advertisement for the current Windows version of DEX-PCB is full of hyperbole so if it is as good as they say I was just curious as to why I never heard of it. I guess I could just install it and try it out. Or not. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.