Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

How to improve on an Arduino type project with a cheap driver
How to improve on an Arduino type project with a cheap driver
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th April 2020, 12:43 AM   #1
bluecommon is offline bluecommon
diyAudio Member

Cool How to improve on an Arduino type project with a cheap driver

Hey everyone, still new to this but I'm working on a Arduino smart-speaker type project, and to start I have this cheap driver lying around. It's one of those small thin ones that's only ~1.5 inches in diameter. I'm trying to learn what I can do to make it sound the best in an enclosure.

My first thoughts were to use WINISD to optimize the volume, BUT I can only find the below info so not much I can do in WINISD without the T/S parameters:
  • Frequency response chart
  • Voltage, sensitivity, impedance (no charts)

Click the image to open in full size.

So should I try to measure the T/S parameters, or estimate them somehow to get started? OR am I thinking about this in completely the wrong way?
Old 8th May 2020, 11:01 PM   #2
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You are never going to get good sound with a speaker that small.
Upgrade to a 6 or 8 inch full range speaker
Old 9th May 2020, 01:56 AM   #3
simon7000 is offline simon7000  United States
diyAudio Member

As your image does not load... It most likely has virtually no output below 300 hertz so any enclosure will most likely have no effect on the low frequency response. Just be sure there is some damping or other method to break up any resonances.

I would suggest no enclosure wall dimension be less than 2". A decent enclosure could be 2" x 2.828" x 3.464".

Last edited by simon7000; 9th May 2020 at 01:59 AM.

How to improve on an Arduino type project with a cheap driverHide this!Advertise here!