Hornresp: drivers in series vs parallel understanding

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am having a hard time understanding why in hornresp I can create a speaker with two drivers in it and have a different shape response curve based on if I wire them in series or in parallel. I am assuming it is because one woofer is acting like an inductor to the other one and vice versa. Is that the case or is it something more complex? Doing them in parallel seems more like I expect, the curve shifts due to the different power applied when the voltage is kept constant. Is there something I am missing here? When the goal is to series wire two (4) ohm drivers to work as an (8) ohm load, should I build the enclosure with two woofer chambers?

Please note I am not blaming horn resp in any way, I know it is correct for this, and my understanding in the area is what I want to fix. Hornresp is just the easiest tool to show this effect strongly with the woofers I am simulating.

I am assuming it is because one woofer is acting like an inductor to the other one and vice versa. Is that the case or is it something more complex?

A little more complex. Try to draw impedance curve for one driver and check it for some peaks...
Speaker is an active electromechanical load.

When the goal is to series wire two (4) ohm drivers to work as an (8) ohm load

Try not to connect drivers in series, otherwise each of them will be underdamped in resonance areas due to high impedance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.