List of soundcards and notebooks capable of running arta software

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.
My old notebook (acer e732zg) broke few days ago. It's not overheating but when cpu reaches it "normal temperature" (40-50 C) it's turns itself off. I don't think it's worth fixing or replacing a motherboard (I think it's motherboard related fault). I tried to run an arta (limp) on my second notebook (old fujitsu m9400) and it's not working. It's not a matter of settings because they are identical. I need to buy a notebook that will run arta without any problems). Could you guys write what notebook(s) you use with arta (or it can be a pci/pci-ex or even usb soundcard). I have a PC too but it's much more comfortable to measure with notebook IMO :) ...but if anyone would write what soundcard he uses in his PC and it works with arta I would be very grateful too ;) .

Thanks
Oskar

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have used ARTA on several Dell laptop/notebooks. However foirst i need to know if you are usign the internal soundcard or an external one.

I have 2 Dell E6410's with I7 processors. They work fine with Win XP to win 10. I have SSD's in them so they are pretty quick. Key feature for me is that these are almost the last laptop with a stereo line/mike input so you do not need an external sound card and the internal system is pretty good. For measurements XP works much better and the drivers work well Win 10 is messy to say the least. This guy will sell you one with a drive for $200 Dell Latitude E6410 i5 i7 4Gb 8Gb 500GB 14" Win10 WebCam Wifi Ready | eBay

I have an Dell XPS 13 that works fine using an external soundcard (Both EMU and Focusright) but that's lots more money.

Hello Erik,
If you want to measure the T/S parameters, you need two inputs and two outputs as on the UR22mkII.
If you just make SPL measurements, then the UR12 is enough. For the small price difference, the UR22 is preferable.
If, one day, you want to measure the T/S parameters, you'll be frustrated with a UR12 or similar.

Ah. Ok. I thought Ur12 was two inputs with only one mic pre. Thank you for your input. Just curious. How does one keep calibration from one use to the next... especially if you are taking your setup down and putting it back together each time? Or does the system have to be recalibrated each time and one just has to be careful not to adjust any of the gain settings one you are calibrated?

Last edited:
So I'm in the classic spot. Move forward on the Steinberg or go with Focusrite. It seems the Steinberg mk2 is a bit older while the Focusrite is a brand new version of the 2i2 in that it is in it's 3rd Gen. It seems that at least in the past the Steinberg has the reputation of being more stable and has better drivers. The Focusrite is interesting because it should have the newest chipsets and I would guess better specs. I still and am leaning towards the Steinberg. It will only be used for measurements.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.