Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Is there a freeware alternative to APL TDA ?
Is there a freeware alternative to APL TDA ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd July 2017, 03:04 PM   #1
RobWells is online now RobWells  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Is there a freeware alternative to APL TDA ?

I've only just tried the APL software and like how easy it makes time aligning a multiway speaker. I've missed the offer to buy an individual licence for the cost of a student licence and as I'd only use it 3 or 4 times a year for setting up my own projects I'm hoping there is a freeware program that might do the same.

Thanks,
Rob.

edit - I currently use trueRTA for most things and have a full licensed version of acoustisoft ETF, if I can find my licence code off my old laptop

I use an ECM8000 mic with a behringer USB preamp for measurement.

Last edited by RobWells; 22nd July 2017 at 03:07 PM.
Old 22nd July 2017, 04:23 PM   #2
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

rePhase - ongoing discussion here.
Old 22nd July 2017, 04:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksquires View Post
rePhase - ongoing discussion here.
Thanks Erik,

I thought that was a pre-EQ affair that corrected phase of the speakers, didn't realise it took measurements too.. Will have a search / read.

Rob.
Old 22nd July 2017, 05:02 PM   #4
wesayso is offline wesayso  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

REW basically shows you the same information, but it's a bit more work to find it all as clear as APL_TDA does.

I really like APL_TDA and have almost promoted it's use around here due to that. As far as I know it's quite unique in the way it presents it's data. I didn't know Raimonds stopped giving us forum users the discount. Did you email him directly?

RePhase isn't a measurement suite. It's a versatile tool to edit phase/FR but can't measure and show what you want to see.
Old 22nd July 2017, 05:18 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesayso View Post
REW basically shows you the same information, but it's a bit more work to find it all as clear as APL_TDA does.

I really like APL_TDA and have almost promoted it's use around here due to that. As far as I know it's quite unique in the way it presents it's data. I didn't know Raimonds stopped giving us forum users the discount. Did you email him directly?

RePhase isn't a measurement suite. It's a versatile tool to edit phase/FR but can't measure and show what you want to see.
It was your posts that introduced me to the software, thanks!

I did get an offer but it was more than double the student price which, for the amount I'd use it, was too much for me to justify the spend.

I think with REW I'd need to dig out my old usb sound card to get it working right, I will have a look into it thanks.

Rob.
Old 26th July 2017, 11:33 PM   #6
JohnPM is offline JohnPM  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesayso View Post
Took me a while to get around to it, but I have done a little work on that - mostly adding a linear amplitude scale option. Differences below 70 Hz or so but the speaker used for this test has little output below 80. I have also added the peak energy time as a trace on that graph so the delay time can be read directly from it.

APL.jpg

wavelet.png
Old 27th July 2017, 07:50 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

That looks great - just as easy to see how much delay I'd need to use for each driver in my speakers. Thanks.
Old 27th July 2017, 09:39 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

That option would help a lot! Great work!
Old 27th July 2017, 09:46 AM   #9
JohnPM is offline JohnPM  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Update will be in the next beta, will aim to release that in about a week's time.
Old 27th July 2017, 10:00 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I do have one request, if possible, could we see a little more data before the peak? In APL we can move the peak (to ~5 ms) to see the start of the wave shape, giving an indication of the energy before the peak. Might be useful to "see" exaggerated pré ringing from too much phase correction.
This graph runs to 30 ms, it would help to show an extra 25 ms before the main peak.

Like this DAC loop back:
Click the image to open in full size.

Compared to a Stereo measurement at the sweet spot:
Click the image to open in full size.

I know this is the 3D view, but it would work as well in 2D to spot early arrivals (especially below 1 KHz).

Is there a freeware alternative to APL TDA ?Hide this!Advertise here!