How to use Passive Crossover Designer by Jeff Bagby

Is there a comprehensive tutorial of VituixCAD that you or someone has produce for dummies like me?
Similar to what Toid has done for PCD?
I don't think so. World looks divided into two cults:
a) Mewbies and youtubers who make videos for them. Tools and design methods are usually crap, limited and inaccurate. No exceptions in my experience.
b) Others such as experienced DIY designers and professionals, using more advanced and featured tools. This group is also able read user manual and measurement instructions, and some members follow design procedure recommended in documentation.

Reality is that I can't make people to understand, like and prefer VCAD over the others. Everyone needs to set own goals for learning and design quality, and build adequate motivation to reach them. Everything (including VCAD) is possible with adequate enthusiasm, and newbies have equal rights to use the best and limitless tools from the beginning.

Reactions: 1 user
I hope you're not going to design a real speaker following these videos. Even using manufacturer data, there's much missing and over-simplified.

I can provide a document on how to process manufacturer data for use with VituixCAD (send me a PM), but I also don't recommend using it to design a real speaker that you intend to enjoy for years to come. Hopefully just as a guide to help you learn the software until your mic and audio interface come in the mail so you can generate your own data following the measurement instructions for VituixCAD.

Too many "yes you can, here's how" instructions with missing / poor / misleading information, when it really should be "yes you can, but no you shouldn't for various reasons".

IMO as far as hobbies go, cost of entry to create your own measurements can be very low, however requires additional learning curve for people with no prior acoustics or electronics experience, which goes back to that "daunting" comment. Reality is that acoustics and filter design is a complex subject, so be prepared to deal with the complexities in their entirety. Fortunately modern tools can make for reliable results with fairly minimal effort, but don't bypass the requirement for education of the designer.

@kimmosto & @DcibeL
Thanks guys.
I have a good calibrated testing mic, and will be taking measurements (using REW, which I am very familiar with) to obtain my FRD and ZMA files. I'll also be taking FRD measurements with both drivers together for use with phase alignment.
My problem is using the crossover design software.
I know the basics of RLC and their effect with frequency.
With VCAD, PCD and Xsim I could easily throw in some 2nd order filters, tune a bit, and get a reasonably decent SPL curve.
But I really want to understand and use the progams' power to refine the design (aligning phase, taming impedance, and SPL peaks, etc).

As you've both said, most of the "instructional" videos leave a lot to be desired.
That's why I need some guidance to decent instructional manuals and/or videos.
Jeff Bagby, for instance, did include and instruction manual with his PCD.
These three design programs are absolutely brilliant for serious DIYers and professionals, but without access to decent tutorials, beginners like me, only becomes disillusioned by the results they get, because they just don't know how to use the program properly

^If you don't know how capacitors, inductors, resistors, drivers and different connections work, you need to study them first. There is no shortcut directly to speaker or crossover designing if you really want to know how XO networks work with A.C. You can either read books or web or watch videos or use software with free form XO network. So PCD is the worst option of these three, and VituixCAD is by far the most featured also for empirical studying. Just drop component to schematic, connect to the generator and driver, adjust value and look what happens in the main and power dissipation windows. Or drop complete library block such as "Passive 3-way", link driver components to data and play with block attributes. Or download sample projects and play few days...a week with them - as recommended in "How to start..." section in VCAD manual. Or draw XO of some well known kit and play with values and variate connection.

I'm wannabe guitarist with experience of 40+ years, but I've always been too lazy to study all scales, chords, inversions, triads etc. So I can never be as brilliant as e.g. Tommy Emmanuel. The best guitars don't help me a bit. Studying is the only way.
XO design program just limits or gives you more possibilities. It does not make you understand how components and networks work.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks kimmosto, I didn't realise there was a manual with VCAD :love:

I have the factory FRD and ZMA files for my two drivers.
I have been practising with them in Xsim. Even though I will be taking new measurements once I have completed my enclosures and the drivers are mounted.

I will now do the same with VCAD, and follow the manual.

I too have been "learning" the guitar now for over 50 years, so I feel your pain.

Thanks Toid for the videos, I’ve been trying to figure out how to use some of the spreadsheet based programs that are available for years. While watching the Toid videos I worked through a speaker plan I have and things started to click for me.

Unfortunately, Passive Crossover Designer 8 on my computer have the save and import buttons covered with a protected message (as shown in the screenshot on the download website). I’m running Excel 2016 and I have the required addons enabled. I had a copy of version 7 and could save my project but it crashed importing my project.

Fortunately, A4eaudio suggested WinPCD which is a repackaged version of Passive Crossover Designer. It is more stable for me and I like the organization changes.

I’ve built speaker kits and I’ve tried building with off the shelf speaker components (with bad results). I though crossover design was a dark art (and I know how to read a schematic). I’ve casually researched the topic over years and I’m determined to figure out how to design a crossover with some software. I recently got the DATS3 tool, Umik-1 calibrated microphone, and I’ve started to learn the REW software; these tools are helping me learn the data acquisition part of the process.

Measure properly following measurement guides for VCAD and you won’t have to calculate any z offset. Driver dimensions in crossover are physical offset only.

For those with USB mic’s trying to replicate basic functionality of PCD or Xsim, process is simple so you shouldn’t need a video to hold your hand through the process.

1. Place mic at design axis location.
2. Measure high frequency driver.
3. Measure low frequency driver.
4. Measure both drivers connected in parallel.
5. Open vcad aux -> time align. Load 3 previous measurements here.
6. Uncheck “MP” boxes and click solve to find delay value.
7. Use delay value in driver tab. Leave drivers in crossover at 0,0,0.

That will get you same results as PCD or Xsim. Forget about power & DI and directivity charts.