Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

LinearX Crossover Shop and Enclosure Shop and Windows 10
LinearX Crossover Shop and Enclosure Shop and Windows 10 Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2017, 09:56 PM   #1
LukasLouw is offline LukasLouw  United States
diyAudio Member

Default LinearX Crossover Shop and Enclosure Shop and Windows 10

Now that the LinearX website is down, there is no access to the user forums, us LinearX software users are on our own.

I have to install Windows 10 since some software upgrades will not work on XP.

Hopefully a LEAP 5 user who has some experience with getting the software working with Windows 7., 8 or 10 can help.

Lukas
Old 15th March 2017, 01:52 AM   #2
Smiley 09 is offline Smiley 09  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hello Lukas,

Please see the recommendation on this site:

https://www.physical-lab.com/index.p...are/filtershop

Best regards

S
Old 15th March 2017, 02:42 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks, yes emulated XP mode or dual boot XP/Win 10 seem to be the 2 choices,
Lukas
Old 15th March 2017, 10:00 AM   #4
Smiley 09 is offline Smiley 09  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hello Lukas,
No need for dual boot, If You just install the app as an admin rights privilege and than go via some explorer or Total Commander to apps folder found and right click on the prog.execut. file and go properties tab and tick run as admin, go to security tab - options - found Yours Login Name there if not present go add - found - search for yours actually acc login name - add it - apply - then tick on it and tick the full admin rights and at the end on the first tab enable the WinXP Sp3 compatibility and apply - confirm.Then if not present jet just create the ShortCut to desktop and You're done.
This way all apps for win XP works 100%.

With my best regards,
S.
Old 15th March 2017, 01:52 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I remember from the LinearX forums that the main problem that people ran into is that non XP OSes wouldn't see the LEAP 5 USB dongle, even in XP compatibility mode.

Lukas

Last edited by LukasLouw; 15th March 2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old 7th May 2017, 11:12 PM   #6
rdunn is offline rdunn  United States
diyAudio Member

I can confirm the following:
  • LEAP works fine on 32-bit virtual machines. I've tested under XP-Mode and VMWare XP guests on Win7/64-bit host and VirtualBox/XP guest on Win10/64-bit host. No dongle issues other than getting the VM, itself, configured to capture the USB dongle.
  • LEAP installs on Win7 Pro 64-bit but the dongle is unsigned. It is possible to get the dongle driver to load with Driver Signing Verification disabled. There may be an easier way but I self-signed the driver files and created a boot configuration with DSV in a test mode. I documented the process but Chris Strahm didn't want me to share. (He really, really didn't want to deal with 64-bit Windows questions. I don't blame him.) If folk are interested, maybe I'll dig it up and share now.
  • Windows 10 64-bit makes it much easier to disable DSV temporarily to solve the dongle driver issues but some installations have registry issues that prevent installing the LEAP software completely and applying the final patches. (Seem to be related to Office 2016 or 365 breaking the WOW6432Node permissions.) I've documented the workarounds and am looking for testers. See my thread in this forum posted yesterday.
  • The LEAP help files use an old format (*.hlp files) not supported in Windows default installs since maybe Vista. There are (or were) patches available through Windows 8.1 IIRC but not for Windows 10. For Win10, MS has made it very difficult to work around this problem (\Windows\winhlp32.exe is a non-functional stub is locked down such that even admins cannot directly replace it). You can install a copy from an older version of Windows somewhere else and open the help files but context-sensitive help will almost certainly not work. Still, better to have access to the files than not at all.
Of course, LEAP is 32-bit and won't run as fast on a 64-bit OS as a native 64-bit version would but it seems unlikely that we'll see a any new versions of LEAP. (A true pity, that, and I hope that I'm wrong.) However, running "natively" has to be faster than running under a VM.

Anyway, that's what I know from personal experience.

robert
Old 8th May 2017, 03:03 PM   #7
Zero D is offline Zero D  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb .HLP Files

@ rdunn

I think you should be able to convert the .hlp files into for eg PDF files. Foxit might do it with an add on from them
Old 8th May 2017, 04:43 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero D View Post
@ rdunn
I think you should be able to convert the .hlp files into for eg PDF files. Foxit might do it with an add on from them
Possibly but that wouldn't recover the context-sensitive help functionality.
Old 8th May 2017, 07:04 PM   #9
mp006ltk is offline mp006ltk  United States
diyAudio Member

Does anyone know if the IP from Linear X is for sale or if there has been any contact with the family to make this open source?

I spoke to a friend of mine who is both a software engineer and venture capitalist and he essentially stated that he didn't think there was any value in a company that held outstanding debt to it's customers and had it's software written in pascal.

That being said I can't see their books, and I'm not a coder...... I would think if the source was released it could become a community effort.

I sold my license to LEAP V years ago when it became apparent that there wouldn't be a LEAP VI. It would be nice to have an updated version of this since I can't cost justify Loudsoft.
Old 8th May 2017, 08:27 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp006ltk View Post
I spoke to a friend of mine who is both a software engineer and venture capitalist and he essentially stated that he didn't think there was any value in a company that held outstanding debt to it's customers and had it's software written in pascal.
Well, now, there's nothing wrong with Pascal other than it's Pascal. The good news is that it's easy to convert to C.

Quote:
That being said I can't see their books, and I'm not a coder...... I would think if the source was released it could become a community effort.
If there is debt, then they cannot contribute the code to the community. They'd have to sell it to pay off debt.

Nice dream though. If it happened, we could port it to Linux and thumb our noses at MS. Yeah, that's a project that I would definitely participate in.

Quote:
I sold my license to LEAP V years ago when it became apparent that there wouldn't be a LEAP VI. It would be nice to have an updated version of this since I can't cost justify Loudsoft.
Just curious: What features would you want that aren't already in LEAP?

LinearX Crossover Shop and Enclosure Shop and Windows 10Hide this!Advertise here!