Speaker Workshop - Compile new executable for Win7 and Mac.

I have released version 1.1.1 of Speaker Workshop in both 32 and 64 bit.
A few years ago I looked at the possibility of using the code as the starting point for a cross platform speaker design program (linux, osx, windows and possibly mobile and possibly web). It appeared to lack the usual modular organisation of engineering programs and particularly the separation of the user interface code from the simulation code. Although it had established users who generally seemed to think well of the code it was not judged to be a useful starting point. I suspect others came to similar conclusions. It would be interesting to know your view, what prompted you to start working with the code and where you would like to go with it.

Do we have to build this ourselves or is there an install package?
You can find the program at: https://github.com/RDamman/SpeakerWorkshop/releases/download/v1.1.1.1/SpeakerWorkshop_1_1_1.7z

A few years ago I looked at the possibility of using the code as the starting point for a cross platform speaker design program (linux, osx, windows and possibly mobile and possibly web). It appeared to lack the usual modular organisation of engineering programs and particularly the separation of the user interface code from the simulation code. Although it had established users who generally seemed to think well of the code it was not judged to be a useful starting point. I suspect others came to similar conclusions. It would be interesting to know your view, what prompted you to start working with the code and where you would like to go with it.

I think the code is fairly decent for that years. The only goal was to revive the program.

I have released version 1.1.1 of Speaker Workshop in both 32 and 64 bit. It can read SWD files of the 1.0.6 version. New SWD files can't be read by 1.0.6.
Speaker Workshop can be downloaded at:
GitHub - RDamman/SpeakerWorkshop: Speaker Workshop is an application for testing speaker drivers using a Windows sound card, then designing and simulating loudspeakers and enclosures and creating and optimizing crossovers.

Regards,

Roy Damman

This is fantastic! Thanks and Kudos for doing this!
and thanks for updating this thread. its good to see finally someone did do it after 8 years!

Are you open to establishing a bug/defect list to improve upon what you have done already ?

Sure there is ARTA and HolmImpulse but SW is still king for the combination of measurements AND crossover design both together in one FREE software (unless I am really out of touch with other developments now in this area).

Many thanks for your great job !
I'm using HolmImpulse and ARTA, but I was missing the network calculation provided by SW.

Unfortunately, even though SWx64 tells me that my Steinberg UR22MKII sound card is fully compatible, it seems to short inputs and outputs, preventing it to work properly.

I'll try to find windows 10 drivers for my venerable Terratec EWX 24-96 instead...

Anyway, many thanks HoogWater !

Bertrand.

Hello All, I'm interested in getting into speaker design and building my own sound bar along with traditional speakers. I'm a developer and know many different languages..so was thinking as a way to give back to the community I could fix/upgrade and bring a project back to life. This is where I need your help. Would speaker workshop be a good one to contribute too. I assume the person recompiling for x64 etx has a repo setup somewhere to contribute too. Or is there another software that people would like to be revamped? If not I was gonna build something from scratch. I would like to have functionality to design the enclosures, have prebuilt speaker specs preloaded and able to add custom specs for a.speaker not already built in. Have every component exportable/importable so people can share there projects whether it be a enclosure or crossover. Enclosures would provide cut lists, linked to sites like partsexpress to import parts needed to build.the crossover in the list and be able to design your pcb board with layout select the parts and have that exported as partslist for.the build.etc..Im thinking like a AIO Designer Studio. It would start with being able to build enclosures and add diffrent speaker's and prebuilt.crossovers and such that's all exported into a easy to read build list. It would support plugin modules that would add functionality so things can be added as it's built and would be opensource so anyone can build plugins for it. Maybe there is something already out there like this or maybe the currently isn't a need. One thing I noticed is that in the software list there is tons of software with most specializing in a certain area but nothing that brings it all together for beginners and advanced builders. So what's your ideas, thoughts anything at all. I'm all ears, as I mentioned it would be opensource.and completely.free. Monitization isn't the main goal of this but links to part vendors would eventually use affiliate links so that could help offset the time spent and allow me to offer a better product. Anyways thanks for listening.

Hello All, I'm interested in getting into speaker design and building my own sound bar along with traditional speakers. I'm a developer and know many different languages..so was thinking as a way to give back to the community I could fix/upgrade and bring a project back to life. This is where I need your help. Would speaker workshop be a good one to contribute too. I assume the person recompiling for x64 etx has a repo setup somewhere to contribute too. Or is there another software that people would like to be revamped? If not I was gonna build something from scratch. I would like to have functionality to design the enclosures, have prebuilt speaker specs preloaded and able to add custom specs for a.speaker not already built in. Have every component exportable/importable so people can share there projects whether it be a enclosure or crossover. Enclosures would provide cut lists, linked to sites like partsexpress to import parts needed to build.the crossover in the list and be able to design your pcb board with layout select the parts and have that exported as partslist for.the build.etc..Im thinking like a AIO Designer Studio. It would start with being able to build enclosures and add diffrent speaker's and prebuilt.crossovers and such that's all exported into a easy to read build list. It would support plugin modules that would add functionality so things can be added as it's built and would be opensource so anyone can build plugins for it. Maybe there is something already out there like this or maybe the currently isn't a need. One thing I noticed is that in the software list there is tons of software with most specializing in a certain area but nothing that brings it all together for beginners and advanced builders. So what's your ideas, thoughts anything at all. I'm all ears, as I mentioned it would be opensource.and completely.free. Monitization isn't the main goal of this but links to part vendors would eventually use affiliate links so that could help offset the time spent and allow me to offer a better product. Anyways thanks for listening.

You might check with Kimmo (VituixCAD). He has a wonderful software for design including enclosure volume and port prediction/tuning but it lacks the CAD portion to be able to actually develop an enclosure and cutlist. It works well with measurement software already on the market but ARTA software for measurement is a good one to model if you are to develop your own.

You might check with Kimmo (VituixCAD). He has a wonderful software for design including enclosure volume and port prediction/tuning but it lacks the CAD portion to be able to actually develop an enclosure and cutlist. It works well with measurement software already on the market but ARTA software for measurement is a good one to model if you are to develop your own.
I would suggest that you look at XSim. Kimmo's VituixCAD is a lovely piece of code (it's my primary application for speaker design today) but he maintains it very actively and has a strong sense of which direction he wants to take it in. XSim, on the other hand, is another really lovely, simpler application but IIRC it has fallen out of maintenance. Neither of these applications are open source. You'll have to contact the owner/author of XSim and see if he's willing to let you work on his source.

A third application whose falling out of maintenance broke many hearts here is HolmImpulse. It's a replacement for ARTA -- it helps you take measurements, not design speaker enclosures or crossovers. If someone could work on that, it would bring a lot of smiles to a lot of people, but unlike XSim, I suspect it'll be harder to get the owner to agree to release the source: it is a commercial company, and commercial companies are usually very cagey about letting their "intellectual property" being released.

I have released version 1.1.1 of Speaker Workshop in both 32 and 64 bit. It can read SWD files of the 1.0.6 version. New SWD files can't be read by 1.0.6.
Speaker Workshop can be downloaded at:
GitHub - RDamman/SpeakerWorkshop: Speaker Workshop is an application for testing speaker drivers using a Windows sound card, then designing and simulating loudspeakers and enclosures and creating and optimizing crossovers.
Regards,
Roy Damman

I can't open either of my files, Proteus or Proteus Jr.
They where made with Speaker Workshop years ago, not sure which version.
I'm running Win7-64bit.
Tried SW v1.0, v1.06, v1.1.1.1, error message file(s) fail to load.
Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• Proteus.zip
    264.5 KB · Views: 73
  • Proteus jr.zip
    821.5 KB · Views: 65