Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Site Announcements Updates to the forums will be displayed here.

We will be updating our software platform in a few weeks
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th September 2021, 10:56 PM   #11
Mr_Zenith is offline Mr_Zenith  United States
diyAudio Member

This is one of the many reasons I don't mind donating regularly. Thanks for all the effort that you and the moderation team put forth to make this forum safe, fun and informative.
Old 14th September 2021, 11:19 PM   #12
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardv View Post
Seriously - there's so few comments on this thread I wonder if anyone has noticed? I'm thinking this relative silence will be contrasted by the level of comments after we switch over perhaps ?
I'm following the thread and awaiting the changeover with anticipation.

Thanks for all the work you guys are doing.

Praise for those who actually put in the effort is seldom universal, so best regard your work as a labour of love!
Old 20th September 2021, 07:08 AM   #13
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
Fanatic
diyAudio Member

Eager anticipation all around methinks.
People are probably concerned they might reduce the amount of time and resources available to make the transition by replying.
Old 21st September 2021, 11:48 AM   #14
lohk is offline lohk  Europe
diyAudio Member

You guys are amazing! Thank you, Jason, and friends, for the wonderful and thoroughly extraordinary work! I am member of DIYAUDIO since a long, long time, I have witnessed the developments and drawbacks, and I have even found many more contacts over this forum, even so for the professional domain.
I am happily looking forward to the new design and possibilities!
Old 27th September 2021, 12:19 PM   #15
edbarx is offline edbarx  Europe
diyAudio Member

Sites heavily doped with Java Scripts are quite cumbersome, especially, considering aged computers. Java Scripts enable all kinds of Internet threats with regards to surfers security and privacy. I do understand that business is what fuels the Internet, but I liked the Internet most when the vast majority of sites did not use Java Script Trash.

The New Age sites, which act more like stand alone applications, rather than rich text with graphics, are far less intuitive than their predecessors.

My impression has been consistently that a gigantic effort is being made to make the Internet accessible to the masses by presenting it the way their mind works. However, in the process, those who are logically capable, are finding it more difficult to use what they have been using since its beginning.

For instance, why have logically hierachical menu systems been replaced by users' frequency of use? Why has text been replaced by glyphs in buttons and menus? What is wrong with using the English Language?[ Be aware, I am not natively English speaking. My mother's language is Maltese. ] Do not belief the untrue claim that the Maltese are bilingual. In the case of many, it is not the case. It is only the case of the affluent and rich.
Old 30th September 2021, 11:32 PM   #16
gerardv is offline gerardv  Australia
diyAudio Moderator

Looking at this to do list I have here it looks like later in October will be the go-live.
Old 2nd October 2021, 01:32 AM   #17
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

A big thank you to all of the beta test members who have checked out our new site.

Many of you have told us that we need to put more effort into the new site navigation and some of the aesthetics.

While we know the site wont be perfect on day 1, we do want it to be pretty good, so we have decided to make a few more changes before we launch and have delayed the project for a couple of weeks to give us time.

We now expect to go live in late October.

It is also not too late to join the beta test crew and to share your own thoughts and opinions. Just click here and fill out the form and we'll get you signed up for early access.
Old 2nd October 2021, 01:18 PM   #18
Ted Clamstruck is offline Ted Clamstruck  United States
diyAudio Member

One of the things I've seen in some XenForo installations is a missing "search in thread" function. This is one of the most useful search functions, but is apparently not installed by default in XenForo. Specifics are described in this XenForo thread. For instance, AVS does not properly provide this functionality, but ASR does. It would be really good to have it, as the current vBulletin software does a very good job providing this functionality.

One thing that happened long ago on DIYA when the vBulletin software was updated to a newer version, was the loss of superscripts and subscripts, which broke some old posts using things like QTC and QTS. It was subsequently fixed, apparently with a reasonably simple option selection. This is said to be a bit tricky in XenForo, as described here, but would be good to have in order to preserve posts that use them, and to be able to use them in the future.

Last edited by Ted Clamstruck; 2nd October 2021 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Clarification and fix of bad formatting
Old 2nd October 2021, 01:59 PM   #19
avtech23 is offline avtech23  Australia
Certifiably addicted to DIY.
diyAudio Member

The search function is light years ahead of what is currently in place. The upgrade will be worth it just to avoid having to google search the site to find what I'm looking for!

When in a thread, the search box gives the following options:
Everywhere
This Forum
This Thread

Interesting you mention about SUB and SUP, definitely something that should be checked out.
The ever growing project list.. :NAP140, NAD 3020i & 3225PE, JLH1969, TDA2050, Fender 5F2A Princeton, NE5532 HPA, SHPA, B1 Korg, T2, LM4780. : VSQC Phunk Style, Retro 50W, Filmosound 601, AX14. :Young NAP250, TGM10, TDA7265 (Last in line)..maybe
Old 2nd October 2021, 07:34 PM   #20
ferret is offline ferret  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Hi Jason, Gerard and everyone who is working on this project. It is unfortunately necessary to upgrade to newer platforms, especially as things evolve the way they do with technology.
Many thanks for all the hard work, and often thankless due to idiocy of people, but know that I take my hat off to you guys. I work in IT at a large university and know the level of stress and punishing hours guys like you go through.

Best of luck,
Kevin

We will be updating our software platform in a few weeksHide this!Advertise here!