Sourcing audio inductors - pls help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I'm trying to get ferrite or laminated audio inductors in the 50mH-2H range, ideally custom wound ones. In my search I found the following sites:

Finest Audio Inductors
Inductors
Inductors
EQUALIZER (EQ) INDUCTORS
Classic Audio Products, Inc.
https://cinemag.biz/inductors/inductors.php

Either there is no answer on my request, or they are out of business, or vendor does not have part in stock or cannot provide requested info (DCR of inductor they selling). Can anyone point to the reliable source of audio inductors, preferably custom ones?

Typically, a vendor who makes custom inductors will not provide the DCR until they's made the sample and can measure it.

An important question is: how many do you need? You could make your own if you bought an LCR meter.

What are you using the inductors for? You may do better searching for "chokes" instead of "inductors".

Lundahl, Hammond, Antek, Triad, Edcor, and others make items in your value range. There are 269 items in stock at Digi-Key between 50mH and 2H.

I've found that the best way to get a response from a vendor is to begin with a limited and highly specific request. Choose one or two values that represent what you're looking for, provide all information you can about the specs, make a simple drawing, and keep the adjectives to a minimum. Don't forget to include the desired quantity.

If you're looking for very low numbers, it may be easiest to search this forum for threads about winding inductors and PMing the people who seem to be doing it most enthusiastically.

I have some supplies of P14 and P18 AL160 gapped ferrite cores and might be able to wind the values you need if you're not looking for significant volumes. Drop me a PM if you're interested. Its not too difficult to estimate the DCR of an inductor before winding it.

Don Audio seems to have a good selection of EQ inductors and appears to be willing to do custom work. Finest Audio Inductors

Cine-mag also offers several EQ models: Audio Transformers By Cinemag Inc.

I've seen custom Cinemag and Lundahl inductors used in phono stages and other products, but those MOQs are probably higher than you want. Any magnetics manufacturer can easily make what you want, but for low quantities the cost is prohibitive.

Depending on the quantity you need and your preferences, you could also get an LCR meter for about $100, spend some time making a usable winding setup, read through threads on here and pro audio forums, and wind your own. Inductors are much easier to make than transformers.

Everything about this is much easier when you know exactly what you need. Inductance values, core material, wire size - get all the details you can, write them out, and once you have that you will be able to get much more useful answers. Can I make an EQ inductor in the value range you listed? Probably, but that could take almost any form. Can I make a 625 mH inductor on an N87 RM14 core with 24 AWG Kynar wire? I don't know, actually, but I can easily find out and tell you what it would cost if I could. (I don't know if those things would actually be good for an EQ inductor.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.