Grammar errors in electronic items, really bad.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, one would think when one markets a product overseas, the instructions, descriptions, would be as accurate as possible. By relying on someone who says "I can write English just fine"...prove it, test them...
Here is the most tragic case of a Chinese electronic chargers instructions, printed on the box it came in, spelling & grammar.
Charalteristic: Input: The voltage is 9V-24VDC; The electric current is 150mA
Output: The voltage is 4.25 VDC; The electric current is 300mA
The serviceability is broad, May imitate 2000Ah, Below handset lithium battery.
Fast repair, Awakens puts asideand is at dormant state for a long time the battery.
Matters needing attention: When uses this product, Outside the body gives off heat slightly belongs to the normal phenomenon piease to feel relieved the use.
Do not put in the battery harger moist or under the hightemperature en viron ment, The prohibition for the battery charge which cannot charge.
Note, this is just one panel of the box, there's more on the other side.

Now, doesn't seem that bad now right?...but the typeface while still of the same font, seems to go up & down a few points in size as you read this.

-------------------------------------------------------------------Rick.......

Chinglish. There's a lot of it out there.

I remember looking at a circuit and reading the description. It said something like "please sir to decorate your sound thank you." OK.

There's a lot of Koreans in my community. Some of the older ones only speak a little English. I remember asking my dry cleaner where her husband was. She said "oh, he took tired." ??? I thought it meant he died. I asked one of my Korean friends what that meant and she said it could mean different things depending on context. She said that he probably retired. It turns out he went back to Korea for three months.

It shows how different languages are. Learning a language is like learning a culture too.

When I see bad English like that, I'm always happy to be paying for one less salary as a portion of the cost of what I'm buying. I bought a suitcase recently with similarly terrible instructions... but it was really cheap, and who can't figure out how to use a suitcase. I'm sure you could have paid more for a charger with proper instructions, but then you'd have less money left for other things, and a manual you will read once and discard.

Best on I have seen.

A Musical instrument wholesaler bought a load of electronic keyboard stands, they never even opened one to check it, but started shipping them out; one lot went to a school.

The s**it then hit the fan. The Chinese manufacturer had used some kind of literal translation to write the instructions; where you were required to screw two parts together, the instructions said you should f*&$k these two p0arts together.

Kevin

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'd call it Googlish. Looks exactly like Chinese to English run thru Google translate or similar. It's just as bad going the other way.

When the Japanese started writing better English in their instruction manuals, the world lost an important source of surrealist poetry. But not to fear; the Chinese have taken it to a level beyond imagination.

I use Google translate for Chinese sometimes to my MIL. It only makes sense 1/4-1/2 of the time. For technical terms, science or medicine, I find Wikipedia more useful. Find the page in English, then click on the language you want along the left column; works pretty well but not always.

When buying audio items from China I never assume instructions, schematics, etc. will be useful. Always research beforehand by Googling, this site, or contacting seller.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I'd call it Googlish. Looks exactly like Chinese to English run thru Google translate or similar. It's just as bad going the other way.
[..] But not to fear; the Chinese have taken it to a level beyond imagination.

So it's really the Americans that took it to a new level, Google ? ;-)
I think the Chinese have every right to be insulted by that stupid Google!

Jan

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Philip K Dick - prophetically as usual! - had a game in one of his books, where you take a common phrase, it's then machine translated into another language, then that's translated to another, etc, then finally back to english. Then you have to guess wtf the original was!

I'm a non-native user of English and my mastery of the language is far from perfect. Yet, I can see several errors in the OP's own writing, starting with the thread title. No offence intended, but Skitt's Law is remarkably accurate. :)

I shop regularly at AliExpress and some of the mangled English I see there are quite entertaining. It's a small price to pay for buying something at one-third of what a similar product would cost elsewhere.

Autocorrection features in software can also result in really bad errors. A colleague of mine once wanted to type "Thank you for your quick reaction" in an e-mail to a customer, but typed the first two letters of the last word in the wrong order. His e-mail program then automatically "corrected" it into "Thank you for your quick erection". Fortunately the customer had a sense of humour.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.