Healthy alternatives to foam or rock/glass wool

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
^ Definitely interesting but unfortunately most of the materials examined are not natural or sustainable.

Also interesting to note that the "Schafwolle extra" (high-density sheep's wool) performed better than Basotect below 1,000 Hz (the region I am most interested in taming).

Perhaps the answer (for me) is to form very high density sheep wool by compressing 10cm thick batts to 6cm between two layers of aluminium grating like below. After all, the Broadway panel seems to work very well and appears to be just highly compressed glass wool.

unnamed.jpg

This would also maintain an air gap between the wool and the wall.

Last edited:
Another favourite of mine is felt rug underlayer. Gotta have acoustic qualities among the best and comes in convenient rolls. (I used to collect stuff like that... nice to have a big house if you're a DIY person).

Pity wall to wall carpeting is out of fashion (except in my house). Doing a whole floor (bathrooms excepted) with wool carpet and felt underlayer will make your home soundscape (an interesting book, I forget author) high amenity.

B.

The mats of chipped foam rubber that is used these days under carpet. Often a greenish color.
Oh. Underpad.

I have some... let me yell into it and see what happens. :)

EDIT: A few layers of 1/2" underpad seem to have some effect on treble but I don't think I hear much absorption in the mids. Note: extremely non-rigorous testing was performed.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.