Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Room Acoustics & Mods A place to discuss measuring and modifying room Acoustics for better sound

DIY sound diffusers
DIY sound diffusers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th January 2015, 11:12 PM   #1
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
Old guy with soldering iron
diyAudio Member

DIY sound diffusers
Default DIY sound diffusers

I should start off by saying I don't know if this is a good place to put this thread. diyAudio doesn't have a forum for DIY acoustics (hey, why doesn't it?).

Anyway, I wanted to show an EASY and inexpensive way to make sound diffusers (at least if you are in USA, near a Home Depot or similar store). These are based on a design and construction method for the "LeanFuser" by Tim Perry of Arqen Sonic. See Tim's site and his free designs at Sound Diffusers 101: Free Designs for DIY Diffuser Panels. Definitely a good read, and Tim seems to know what he's doing (the LeanFuser was developed in the course of his thesis on computer optimization of step diffusers).

I started with Tim's basic idea, but optimized it (using his directions and the software he recommended) for a wider 35" diffuser, about 4.6" deep, and using readily available and very cheap wood available at Home Depot. I got the wood there, had Home Depot cut the wood (free) for qty5 20" high diffusers, and, with an electric 1.25" brad gun, built the diffusers in about an hour! That's faster than I could make absorbers. Add time if you want to finish or polyurethane them, of course. The time spent picking out fairly decent looking wood pieces at the store and having them cut was also kind of time consuming. If you don't have or don't want to buy a brad gun and don't mind a more time consuming project, you could also of course assemble using nails, screws, glue, or whatever.

Here's the basic cross-section plan for the "Depot Diffuser" design. It should be pretty self-explanatory, build it as tall as you like.
Click the image to open in full size.

Here's a (crummy phone) photo of some of them set up in my in[progress basement sound room. They made a remarkable improvement to the sound there, more than filling the celing beams above with rockwool -

In case you know how to interpret the simulation data on the design (I'm n sure I know much how to, btw), here is what "AFMG Reflex" (diffuser simulation) software says the performance is like:

Happy building!

Last edited by bwaslo; 8th January 2015 at 11:21 PM.
Old 8th January 2015, 11:48 PM   #2
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

DIY sound diffusers
Very interesting. Always been interested in this, never built anything though.
Old 9th January 2015, 07:58 AM   #3
Pano is online now Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

DIY sound diffusers
Very Nice. Thanks.
I have built Schroeder diffusers - this looks 27X easier.
Old 9th January 2015, 03:47 PM   #4
Baldin is offline Baldin  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi bwaslo

Super cool. Congratulations with the build.

I can only encourage to build diffusors .... next to speakers room treatment, and especially diffusors are the most significant way to improve the sound
My own attempt:
DIY Diffusor | Baldin's Blog
/Baldin
Old 9th January 2015, 04:22 PM   #5
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
Old guy with soldering iron
diyAudio Member

DIY sound diffusers
Sy, Thanks.

Baldin, Yours look really cool, too. I also noticed the same perceived results as you mentioned -- much greater detail and image depth, and the room seems larger and just more pleasant overall.
Old 9th January 2015, 04:35 PM   #6
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

If only my wife would allow me. Sigh. I showed her some of the RPG-style diffusors in Alton Everest's book and she explained to me what "castration" means.
Old 9th January 2015, 04:39 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

DIY sound diffusers
I have a small window of opportunity whilst mine is learning how to make sofa covers. She can practice on covering up the diffusors.

Hmm my bookcase is deeper than the books on it. wonder if wibbly lines of books will get past the scrutiny.
Old 9th January 2015, 05:31 PM   #8
SaSi is offline SaSi  Greece
diyAudio Member

Nice approach, but building them this way decreases the effectiveness (perhaps too much) by not having the separator fins between the steps. These are required so that separate reflections from each step combine well off the diffuser causing phase cancellation.
Old 9th January 2015, 07:44 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

DIY sound diffusers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaSi View Post
Nice approach, but building them this way decreases the effectiveness (perhaps too much) by not having the separator fins between the steps. These are required so that separate reflections from each step combine well off the diffuser causing phase cancellation.
I've not had a chance to read the thesis on his website yet, so how much of an increase do the fins give in measurement or simulation?
Old 9th January 2015, 09:42 PM   #10
SaSi is offline SaSi  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
I've not had a chance to read the thesis on his website yet, so how much of an increase do the fins give in measurement or simulation?
According to what's on 'Acoustic absorbers and diffusers" (Cox & D'antonio), most of the effect of diffusion is lost if each step of the baffle isn't separated from the adjacent one with enough depth. Without the "fins" you get what's commonly called "skyline" diffuser. Common for 2D diffusers as it is very complex to build the complete profile for them, but their effect is seriously reduced.

DIY sound diffusersHide this!Advertise here!