• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

GR DAC-END 24

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All!
INTRODUCTION

No Oversampling project based on the AD1865 chip.
The No Oversampling DAC give a more natural sound but if you ear the Phlips DAC chips like the TDA1541 and the TDA1543 in this configuration seem to lose details.
The AD1865N-K with passive I/V give a perfect combination, natural sound and all all the details.
This DAC chip is used also by Audio Note in all the production range.
So if you want to continue to use the CD player because you have many CD and you are not interested to play the few DSD files available on the market, this project will give you the best sonic experience.
You can also connect the PC on USB input to play Hi-Resolution PCM tracks.
It is necessary a vacuum tube stage on output to have the standard 2Vrms but here you can find many solutions like SRPP or single ended.

The AD1865 DAC previous version:
1. DAC-END V1 with LL1660 output :
DAC End - the AD1865N-K with single ended vacuum output stage
2. DAC-END V2 :
DAC End 2 - the AD1865N-K with single ended vacuum output stage

And now : DAC-END 24

DAC End 24 PCM DAC

Description:
DAC AD1865 unit accept 192KHz input with operate NOS (non-oversampling) mode.

Structure:
Digital input:
1 x coaxial input,
1 x Optical
1 x AES/EBU- Balance in put
1 x USB Amanero
1 x selected in put
1x Cs8416
1x HQ-01 Transfomer supply: 0-6V*2
Analog output : R IV passive
Digital section :
using AD1865
digital receiver CS8416
Amanero USB

DAC module assembled and tested with all components

Attachments

• Overview-design-DAC-24-AD1865.jpg
    Overview-design-DAC-24-AD1865.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 1,205
  • DAC-end24.2.jpg
    DAC-end24.2.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 1,163
  • DAC-end24.3.jpg
    DAC-end24.3.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 1,088
  • DAC-end24.6.jpg
    DAC-end24.6.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 1,110
Last edited:
Now, I'm ready 15 DAC end kit as follows:

1. DAC-end kit 24 include:
Kit complete DAC, such as images include:
The connectors, chip CS8416, Transformers power, input switching, no chip AD1865. All are running well, and testing.
Price: $ 250

2. USB amanero: $ 60

3. Shipping worldwide with TNT: $ 50

You are interested, please sign up to your list to help me!

Thank you very much!
quanghao

Attachments

• Kit DAC-END 24 no chip AD1865.jpg
    Kit DAC-END 24 no chip AD1865.jpg
    710 KB · Views: 600
  • Amanero on DAC-END 24.jpg
    Amanero on DAC-END 24.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 408
Isn't the AD1865 a 18 bit DAC ?. Calling this unit DAC-END 24 is a bit misleading. Sure, the CS8416 will decode 24 bit data but the AD1865 accepts only 18.
Therefore, the output of the CS8416 must be configurated to send only the 18 more significant bits to the AD1865.
24 bit compatible would be a better name for this kit.

Isn't the AD1865 a 18 bit DAC ?. Calling this unit DAC-END 24 is a bit misleading. Sure, the CS8416 will decode 24 bit data but the AD1865 accepts only 18.
Therefore, the output of the CS8416 must be configurated to send only the 18 more significant bits to the AD1865.
24 bit compatible would be a better name for this kit.

NO!

i use some 74HC164 for bit to AD1865,

Here is the schematic to see, some value is incorrect!
Thank you!

Attachments

• SCH-AD1865-24-with-I2S.jpg
    SCH-AD1865-24-with-I2S.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 542
Hi Quanghao,

1. How do you compare the sound of this DAC with your previous ES9018?
2. What is the voltage on the output?
3. If I use 2 of those DACs in 4 channel config, do I need to connect them with the same clock or it is not necessary with this chip?

DAC24 has a more natural sound DAC Es9018

Because the AD1865 chip, nature available.

And the use of output 6Dj8 Tube, we will get the singer's voice sweet and affectionate than ES9018

There are many articles about no oversampling and digital filter-less DAC.

Also this project follow the philosophy of Ryohei Kusunoki.

TNT-Audio inter.views Kusunoki San [English]
NOS DAC

These dac give very natural sound very close to the playback from analog sources.

If we compare this DAC with last generation of DAC like the ES9018 you will immediately feel a more natural sound but some little details may be missing.

There are many articles about no oversampling and digital filter-less DAC.

Also this project follow the philosophy of Ryohei Kusunoki.

TNT-Audio inter.views Kusunoki San [English]
NOS DAC

These dac give very natural sound very close to the playback from analog sources.

If we compare this DAC with last generation of DAC like the ES9018 you will immediately feel a more natural sound but some little details may be missing.

Would be much, much better if you could consider making it ready to work Ian's PCM-I2S and Fifo. I have the DAC END24 up and running for 2 months, very happy with it, but adding to ability to work with Fifo will make it a truely high-end system. Also, maybe consider making a parallel/balanced version with dual AD1865 chips?

Would be much, much better if you could consider making it ready to work Ian's PCM-I2S and Fifo. I have the DAC END24 up and running for 2 months, very happy with it, but adding to ability to work with Fifo will make it a truely high-end system. Also, maybe consider making a parallel/balanced version with dual AD1865 chips?

can you sent your DAC image to see all ?

and what your DAC sound ??

thanks

It is possible create a balanced version of this DAC and I am surely this configuration can increase the signal to noise ratio but it has not consistent with the philosophy of this DAC which was founded with the idea of ​​creating a very close analog signal using only single ended stages and minimal parts on signal path.

It is possible create a balanced version of this DAC and I am surely this configuration can increase the signal to noise ratio but it has not consistent with the philosophy of this DAC which was founded with the idea of ​​creating a very close analog signal using only single ended stages and minimal parts on signal path.

Yes, maybe the balanced version is not really necessary, but what about dual version, each for one channel, to increase output current?

Also, the MSB adjustment is another feature worth looking at.

How about the new generation of ultra-low noise regulators from TI and AD? Pretty sure they are all lower noise than the ones used in the DAC END24.

Again, I must say the ability to integrate Ian's stuffs (FIFO, PCM-I2S, clock board) will improve the performance significantly.

Yes, maybe the balanced version is not really necessary, but what about dual version, each for one channel, to increase output current?

Also, the MSB adjustment is another feature worth looking at.

How about the new generation of ultra-low noise regulators from TI and AD? Pretty sure they are all lower noise than the ones used in the DAC END24.

Again, I must say the ability to integrate Ian's stuffs (FIFO, PCM-I2S, clock board) will improve the performance significantly.

Now, DAC 24 have good sound, it is better than DAC -end.

in some systems, dac - 24 have better audio dac 32.

Audio DAC 32 or more and more emotional, when I use the tube ouput,

This evening a new listen test ES9018 DAC 32 with Lundahl vs AD1865 DAC 24 with new vacuum stube output stage.

System:
- My amplifier 813 SE with Bartolucci transformers
- Electrostatic loudspeakers Audiostatic ES-240

Analog source as reference:
- cartridge Supex sd900 super
- pre-pre Supex sdt77
- turntable Pink Triangle
- pre-ampl near to Audionote M3

DAC 24 sound more natural than DAC 32 and both my friends prefer it.

Also in my previous test with SONY TA5650 V-FET Amplifier and Saba loudspeakers there was the same result.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.