Source for HDCD PMD200 Digital Filters

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Due to lack of response from Pacific Microsonics (now a Microsoft Company) I’m posting a request here: -

I would like to launch a “limited addition” CD player / DAC using HDCD as an “Analogue reference” for my soon to be launch Digital amplifiers (I would like to compare the very best in standard DAC / Class A / AB and my digital amplifier technology).

I’m a HDCD License holder and am searching for a source of say 100 to 1200 Pcs. of PMD200, or at the very least the PMD100 - does anybody have stock or know of somebody who does?

Any help would be VERY much appreciated,

John

rfbrw said:
BTW what is the difference between a 'limited edition' and a 'limited addition'?

Hi rfbrw,

Er - have no idea - never thought about it - anyway limited edition because I only have about 2K DAC I plan to use (they are no longer in production).

I'm not sure about the AD DSP part - my concern is its not floating point - and I believe the TI part is. I listen to the PMD200 a while back (I could compare it to the PMD100) and it is the best digital filter by fur.

Also the AD part is BGA!!

Cheers,

John

JohnW said:

Hi rfbrw,

Er - have no idea - never thought about it - anyway limited edition because I only have about 2K DAC I plan to use (they are no longer in production).

I'm not sure about the AD DSP part - my concern is its not floating point - and I believe the TI part is. I listen to the PMD200 a while back (I could compare it to the PMD100) and it is the best digital filter by fur.

Also the AD part is BGA!!

Cheers,

John

The DSP563xx family,which includes the PMD200, is 24bit fixed point. The AD part is 32bit floating point. But why would it matter, if one is simply executing proprietary HDCD code?
The BGA footprint will drive up board costs but in a limited edition product I would have thought these costs could be absorbed.

If your HDCD license allows access to HDCD decoding routines so you can program your own DSP code, there's plenty of DSPs with pins that can do I2S...

- ADI Blackfin BF531/BF532 (fast/16 bit fixed point)
- ADI SHARC 2106x (medium, 32/40 fixed/floating)
- some Microchip DSPICs... (slow/16-bit fixed point)

I'm not familiar with TI/Freescale offerings.

I work with the ADI parts on a daily basis. The Blackfin is cheap as dirt, and even though it's only 16-bit fixed point, it can emulate 31-bit fixed point code extremely fast which is more than good enough for almost anything audio. The 400MHz BF532 = 200 MMAC @ 31 bit, and it's <$10 in quantity. BF531 is even cheaper.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: Digital filter

Have I mis-understood anything, when I claim that the filter and the HDCD part is 2 separate parts of the same chip?

And then it would be useless to hunt for anything HDCD, believing that it would sound as good as the PMD200 filter-chip?

Arne K
(thinks a slow rolloff DF1704 is ok...)...

Hi,

I can’t get any response from the guys at Pacific Microsonics so not even sure what’s left of the original team.

From experience there’s such an enormous gap between standard digital filters and the PMD200 it’s not worth considering any other type.

Also, I total dislike the sound of NPC digital filters (Burr Brown “Badge” NPC filters). I haven’t heard the latest generation of NPC – however all previous versions had the same sonic footprint – closed sound stage – bass heavy – lacking detail. Where by comparison, as the HDCD and Yamaha filters where always neutral.

HDCD decoding is not important - just the sound qulity of the filter.

I haven’t got the time to mess with programming DSP’s; this really would just be a “Side Line” project.

When I say reference – Reference sound quality and performance, but sub US$1000.

Cheers,

John

Hi John,

On the last page of the PMD100 datasheet there is a list of distributors, in several countries.
Have you tried all those?

Also, the PMD100 gives it's full potential in the program mode, with a (usually Motorola MC68HC705J1A) microprocessor.
I have some docs I downloaded in 1999.:D

I have an Audio Alchemy DDE v3.0 (PMD100 and AD1862) with the optional microprocessor and remote control.:cool:
This dac is extensively modded, it is not so special in original form.

Anyway, my NOS TDA1541A dac sounds even better.
What didn't pass my mind (yet) was to make a dac with the PMD100 + TDA1541A.
The PMD100 is on a socket, on the AA.:D

2 Years ago I was wrote the letter to
Pacific microsonics directly
because the dealers refered on original
documentation pages did not respond at all...
I did not write the address manualy, but attached original
text from pacific datasheets photocopyed...
The envelope was returned by american post service
labeled with unknown address or something simillar...
that is the story.
I was looking for the PMD100 model
because of the stand alone mode operation...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.