Vifa driver numberring, anyone know what they stand for?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am extremely interested in drivers and have printed out every single driver ever produced, but i can't get to grip with Vifas numbering..

Troels hade a sheet but it isn't correct. I found that out when I bought two different models of P17. One was the usual P17, the other one was branded Vifa P17 but the only parts between them were the magnet assembly.

The cone was different, the dust cap was hard and larger, basket was stamped and when I checked it against troels chart, nothing was correct..The magnet should have been bigger and
thinner than P17WJ00-08. It was nothing like the well
known P17 polypropylene cone driver. The cone was a lot stiffer and felt almost like a hard paper cone.

As per the table at Troels site they should be exactly the same in all aspects, which it isn't

Is there any siter on here that has the correct spec sheet and list for what letter/number means what when it comes to Vifa??

By the way,does anybody know how much of the Vifa patented technologies SS got hold of?

Dont get me wrong, SS and Seas are my favorite brands, but If Vifa were in business still, they would be my go to brand asths their extensive driver catalogue was truly superb.

Best wishes, JK

Now off to tune my 23,5hp 69cc track racing scooter( out out over 30hp on the crankcase ;)

Well, I do not know about Troels' sheet. My impression over the years however is that Vifa tried to address the type codes to specific qualities of the drivers. They didn't succeed the full 100 per cent though.

The original type codes for the paper cone drivers mostly started with a C for steel basket and M for magnesium basket. A second character would specify the cone material, e.g. P meaning the poly cone and G stood for glass fibre. That changed somewhere and Vifa left out either the basket code or the cone code. So you would end up with a C17 having a steel basket and a P17 having a poly cone... But in a MG18WK09-08 you can recognize the topology:

M = magnesium basket, G = glass fibre cone, 18 = diameter in cm, W stands for woofer (M for midrange), K = the motor code, here 85mm magnet and 1" voice coil. The type code would normally end with a production or OEM code, 00 and 09 for standard types and the nominal impedance indicated by the last two digits.

As for your P17's only two drivers with exact the same type code would match. Vifa has produced a lot for other manufacturers (the lot actually) and often on specific demand, including proprietary cones. So there could be hundreds of different 17 cm Vifa drivers out there.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Vifa has produced a lot for other manufacturers (the lot actually) and often on specific demand, including proprietary cones. So there could be hundreds of different 17 cm Vifa drivers out there.

Vifa makes an aweful lot of OEM drivers, each likely slightly different. I got 20 PSB/Vifa P17 and it was much the same, looked the same, performed differently.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.