Raspberry PI4 to do Multichannel DSP - Camilla DSP + Optical 5.1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have some basic questions and apologies if this has been covered.

My goal is to use a raspberry Pi4 as a multichannel DSP / room EQ by using the optical out of a TV (I believe my LG TV outputs 5.1 over optical), by adding an optical input to the PI4 and using CamillaDSP to handle the processing :

This guy makes an optical input - tinyToslink - Raspberry Pi Optical Audio from Beni_Skate on Tindie.

Then by using software on the PI4 to do multichannel DSP, outputting that signal via USB to a OKTO dac8 PRO - Okto Research

My hope is to bypass the need for an expensive, bulky AVR with possible sub-optimal amplification and allow use of a high quality multichannel DAC and power amps

Would CamillaDSP be able to do multichannel DSP processing on a PI4 by utilising the TINYTOS LINK?

Is my goal even possible? Are there hardware limitations within the PI which would make this unachievable? Would anyone else like to have a PI do multichannel DSP?

Last edited:
Your TV can only output 5.1 when using dolby digital. Camilla DSP won't be able to do anything with a Dolby Digital signal. You need a PCM signal. Toslink is limited to 2 channels of PCM signal.

I was going to use a pi, but decided that in my situation using a NUC would be easier. I am planning on using USB from the NUC to 4 - 2 channel DACs. Using a minidsp MCH streamer for the USB to the the DACs. I am also planning to have this possibly replace the AVR I currently am using. In order for it to work all your sources have to be able to output PCM. So all the Dolby encoding needs to be converted at the source.

From my research I thought it output 5.1 PCM. I’ve double checked and yes it outputs Dolby 5.1 which is the hurdle.

Thanks for describing your solution maybe a NUC is the way to go. Are you going to use a Soundcard with HDMI input on your NUC and which software would you run on the NUC? Would you also be running Spotify connect on it?

The reason I’m asking is I’d like to use a solution which allows 5.1 processing with DSP, and Spotify connect with DSP in 2.0 or 2.1, all in a single box which allows easy switching between the two modes.

I presume having system wide DSP would be the way to go if it’s based on two pieces of software, one to manage the 5.1 and one for the 2.0 Spotify connect software

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.