SMGa...Worth the hassle?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
While I wait for my LRS speakers to arrive - hopefully before the first snowfall - I have these SMGa speakers lying around, a gift from a friend. They are 30 years old and suffer from the whole heat humidity delimitation issues. Some wires have not only come loose, but also appear bent and stretched.

See attached pictures, and let me know if this is worth a shot at reglueing given that 1) I am NO handyman 2)Not interested in getting a repair kit and 3)don’t know how to de-stretch and unbend these wires.

I have seen all the online repair tutorials. My plan is to simply add the DAP glue and use my fingers to (loosely) realign the wires and hope for the best.

Has anyone done a quick and dirty repair like this? I only need a few months of use out of em.

Attachments

• 800wiresl.jpg
    800wiresl.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 188
  • 800wires2.jpg
    800wires2.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 195
Just take it easy with the glue and maybe just try to attach shorter segments at at time and weight them down enough to stay put. Then when the wires are tracked down, apply another coat or two of the glue.
That and let the glue dry well before frapping them out with use.

I tried this years ago. Trick is that you need to get as much (all) of the old glue removed from the repair areas. On my speakers, ageing turned the glue gooey, and adding more glue didn't result in a well bonded wire. Might work for a short while.

Eventually, I went the full distance and repaired them with new wire - but you mentioned not wanting to do that. There is a thread here that covers that task. Ultimately, they are worth the effort of full restoration in my opinion. With that in mind, If I might politely suggest to make your repairs carefully, to give the would be restorer the best chance of success.

Good luck.

Ed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.