Help understanding graph from a sound measurement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I have a graph that has been created from a "Distortion Product Ratio H2" test.
The parameters for the test are output volume and the frequency sweep range (20Hz-1kHz) and a sweeptime of 5 seconds. 3 channels have been recorded but just ignore all but one. I am trying to understand how to interpret a single channel's result.

Here is the graph:
qwjFP2G.jpg

Link to image: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

If I am not mistaken, the test does the following:

- A)It sweeps through the frequency range for a duration of the sweeptime.

- B)For each and every frequency in that range: the dBSPL of the 2nd harmonic frequency of the currently played frequency, is recorded as a value.

- C)The result is a graph were each value in the graph shows the difference between the 2nd harmonic and its fundamental in dBSPL. The x-value is the
fundamental frequency. The y-value is the difference between the dBSPL of the fundamental frequency and its 2nd harmonic expressed in dB.

- D)Formula: <Fundamental frequency in dBSPL> - <2nd harmonic in dBSPL> = <distortion product ratio for that fundamental frequency in dB>.

Am I correct in my interpretation?
If I am correct, were can I find a source for this? I have looked and looked but can't find any site explaining it.

Last edited:
I do not see why the graph seems to be centered about ~-5dB.
In fact, for H2 (or any H), the values should all be largely negative, unless there is something really wrong with the test setup or the DUT (can happen, but should be fixed before trying to interpret the results)

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
It might help if we knew what the driver is.

If the cone is smaller than your palm, it is very reasonable that above 150Hz the THD at high level is near 10% (-20dB); and below 150Hz the speaker is not making much fundamental and the distortion and stray wheeze reads higher than the fundamental (positive dB).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.