EBP Question - Enclosure Type

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
So i've been designing the subwoofer enclosure of the multi way speaker, EBP is 41.1 Hz which recommends a closed enclosure.
I've asked about this before and I was told it's ok if i went with vented but I just want to make sure so I don't mess up.
I've been using BoxSim to simulate my drivers' performance and it seems to be good according to the simulation.

My question is, how accurate are the boxsim simulations because it seems to be
fine according to Boxsim in a 40 liter vented enclosure? Will it still produce good bass?Does anyone have any experience simulating in BoxSim, and did you get similar results after you've actually built the speaker?

Boxsim project:
4FR10+1WS20e.BPJ - Google Drive

image.png

Solidworks screen shot of inside the enclosure:
image.png

Last edited:
Or maybe something like this?

Could you quickly draw where the best placement for the dampening wool is?
And how would I calculate the tuning frequncy out of this?
Btw, I don't want to make it too complex because I don't want the box bigger than it actually is.

image.png

image.png

Last edited:
Also I'll have almost the entire box's walls covered with polyester to dampen them.

I don't want to make it too complex because I don't want the box bigger than it actually is.

What bigger? ...And random use of Wall covering Material give no clue at all if its not specified?

Speaker Design is Engineering, You are very inconclusive when it comes to be specific of what the constraints(dimensional) are for the Freestyle Box suggestion. Wishful thinking and severe physical restrictions for the non suitable Driver(WS-20E) will never result in a good FR extension for the 4 smaller FR-10- HM that should use a vertical C-C distance that is shorter than Lambda/4 at an eventual chosen XO frequency in order to defeat unwanted FR response degeneration interference at the Listening Area.

By the way: Boxsim is OK but restricted for simple Shoe-Box Designs and cannot handle internal Box quarter-wave’s like the Superior Hornresp Program do. If the rear Side of a simple Box is converted into an elaborate Air-way Path's like in a TL: Quarter-waves must be considered and properly handled including the correct use of Wall lining Damping Materials that always is needed.

b:)

Attachments

• Is-this-a_Boom-Box.PNG
    Is-this-a_Boom-Box.PNG
    72.4 KB · Views: 45
What bigger? ...And random use of Wall covering Material give no clue at all if its not specified?

Speaker Design is Engineering, You are very inconclusive when it comes to be specific of what the constraints(dimensional) are for the Freestyle Box suggestion. Wishful thinking and severe physical restrictions for the non suitable Driver(WS-20E) will never result in a good FR extension for the 4 smaller FR-10- HM that should use a vertical C-C distance that is shorter than Lambda/4 at an eventual chosen XO frequency in order to defeat unwanted FR response degeneration interference at the Listening Area.

By the way: Boxsim is OK but restricted for simple Shoe-Box Designs and cannot handle internal Box quarter-wave’s like the Superior Hornresp Program do. If the rear Side of a simple Box is converted into an elaborate Air-way Path's like in a TL: Quarter-waves must be considered and properly handled including the correct use of Wall lining Damping Materials that always is needed.

b:)

This is my first build so for the most part I don't really know what I am doing.
So you're suggesting I should remove the inner side walls based on the drawing or not? The 4 smaller FR 10 Hm's are in passive radiator enclosures.
What exactly do you mean by the "non suitable driver"? I've contacted Visaton about the best box for it and they've responed it's best for a vented (bass reflex or TL) enclosure.
image.png

Here are the messurements you've listed in the screenshot + additional messurements (blue = dampening material placement):
The volume of the entire box without anything in it is 150liters. With the 4 enclosures for the FR 10 Hms and the enclosure where electronics are, It's slightly above 127(On the pictures it might seem like there is no backside, the backside is also 20mm thick but I hid it making the sketch for the view of the back and forgot to enable it again)

image.png

Last edited:
... they've responed it's best for a vented (bass reflex or TL) enclosure.

BR use the back radiating to excite an Helmholtz resonator.
TL to a resonant pipe.

They are really different: you can try blowing in a bottle or in a closed tube.

There are several variations, construction tricks and even border situations.

Boxsim expects your construction to be as close as possible to the Helmholtz model.
Hornresp allows you to play with variations.

BR use the back radiating to excite an Helmholtz resonator.
TL to a resonant pipe.

They are really different: you can try blowing in a bottle or in a closed tube.

There are several variations, construction tricks and even border situations.

Boxsim expects your construction to be as close as possible to the Helmholtz model.
Hornresp allows you to play with variations.

Ok, so you're saying boxsim is accurate for a bass reflex? If I sumulate using a rectangular vent it shows me decent results.

image.png

If I sumulate using a rectangular vent it shows me decent results.

Well, 3+ dB peaking/~80 Hz in a loosely stuffed cab isn't my idea of 'decent' results, but in retrospect I guess it's OK for a shop or outdoor boombox.

FWIW, the only boombox I've built was for my daughter back in '80 that I tuned for ~60-200 Hz of modest peaking bass, a common response for party speakers back then, which is what I get in a ~40 L Hornresp TL sim for this driver, but the [folded] line length is ~167 cm, so assume it won't fit in your single fold rendering.

GM

Well, 3+ dB peaking/~80 Hz in a loosely stuffed cab isn't my idea of 'decent' results, but in retrospect I guess it's OK for a shop or outdoor boombox.

FWIW, the only boombox I've built was for my daughter back in '80 that I tuned for ~60-200 Hz of modest peaking bass, a common response for party speakers back then, which is what I get in a ~40 L Hornresp TL sim for this driver, but the [folded] line length is ~167 cm, so assume it won't fit in your single fold rendering.

GM

Do BoxSim or Hornsrep have any material option because different materials color the sound?

GM

Hello, could you test how this would perform? (Total lenght of the line is ~ 158cm):
image.png

image.png

Hello, could you test how this would perform? ...

Don't bother GM with your totally Freestyle attempt as you give no indication of the CSA that should stay within an Aspect Ratio of Max. ~2:1. like Starting with a Minimum Area of 21 x 42= 882 cm^2 and ending at a Terminus Area preferably not less than 80 cm^2. I.e. ~6.325 x 12,65= ~80 cm^2. Due to the very low fs/Qes : Only an offset Driver( so a simple TL is not a good idea ) will maintain a sufficiently high upper frequency needed to be factored in enabling an XO at or above ~200Hz= a prerequisite from the other for interfacing Drivers that cannot be cut-off at a too low frequency.

Have a look at the submitted Boxsim 2.00 Picture where I used a totally stuffed(Using in Hornresp ~a Kilogram Stuffing at Max.) Volume of ~127 L and a Port Volume of 8 x 10 x 2 = 160 cm^3 and rearranging the position cf the FR Drivers a bit to a Minimal Vertical C-C distance.
I will submit the 4FR10+1WS20e_b.BPJ file too but I don't want to discuss my settings further as I’m not interested in Boxsim at all.

b :)

Attachments

• Visaton_WS-20-E_in_Boxsim 2.00.JPG
    Visaton_WS-20-E_in_Boxsim 2.00.JPG
    547.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 4FR10+1WS20e_b.BPJ.txt
    7.9 KB · Views: 28
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.