Stripping for enameled wire. My little know-how.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In the manufacture of transformers, I had a problem to clean the enamel wires from the varnish.
I made a small tool for myself. It can quickly clean enameled wire with diameter from 0.2 to 0.65 mm

The operation of the tool is shown in the video.

YouTube

Treated wire under microscope. The varnish peel off the tube like a sock.

foto2.jpg

Last edited:
Very simply. A powerful high-frequency generator (about 1 kilowatt per pulse) and a specially shaped inductor made of ferromagnetic material that withstands such frequency and power.

I do not know the composition of the magnetic material, it was made to order in the research laboratory on my technical assignment..

Such inductors are not commercially available.

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
When I worked in the transformer business (early 1980's) we used Strip-X. A very caustic syrupy liquid. It worked on heavy Formel, Formvar and polythermaleze insulated magnet wire. Took a few minutes of soak but it worked.

If you got it on your hands it started to burn/irritate almost immediately; made Easy Off (oven cleaner) look like mother's milk!

There are a number of magnet wire insulations. I worked at a company that made transformers and coils and was familiar with the types. Many insulations are sold as "solderable" which meant that temperatures of melted solder would melt off the insulation. It was common to dip the ends in a solder pot to make clean, tinned ends. Higher temperature insulation grades did not melt and require some sort of mechanical removal. You can check the wire with a blob of solder on an iron tip, held up to the end of an enameled wire. If it melts back from the end and tins the wire, it is a solderable insulation. If the insulation does not melt with a soldering iron, then mechanical removal is required.

Paul

Was the technique aiming to induce an eddy current (and using skin effect) around the circumference of the single copper wire (along a certain length of the wire), and hence raise the copper wire skin temperature rapidly to a point where the enamel melts/burns/expands and smokes, and then allows the enamel to be quickly wiped off whilst it is still somewhat hot?

Did you change the frequency, or find it of most use with that range of wire diameters? And what was the frequency?

Did you get to melt the copper at all, or the parts used to generate the field, during prototyping?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.