Wharfedale W70D - Upgrade/Mods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I really like the way these old speakers sound. Very natural mids. I'd like to more deep bass in the same cabinets of course. Is anyone have an idea which modern 12" woofer might be installed as replacement that is close to the original system's sound?
Thanks

Attachments

• W70D_a300dpi.pdf
    135.9 KB · Views: 68
Hi! I'm a bit of a vintage Wharfedale enthusiast myself!

The build quality of those 12" woofers is superb and I believe the character of this vintage speaker would be completely changed by substituting a modern woofer.

You may actually be desiring a more prominent bass reproduction, but the W70Ds are capable of producing deep bass free of boom and full of detail.

If you haven't done so already, refurbishing the crossover network may reap greater rewards by cleaning up the sound across the frequency range.

Best approach to achieving what you desire would be first to measure woofer impedance in free air, one measurement without added weights, and one with some to be able to calculate TS parameters. ARTA labs offers simple to use software to measure that. Then we will be much smarter to decide the next course of action. Perhaps the woofer has not all of its potential employed, so a larger enclosure might be a solution or not. Sometimes it's easier to build a linkwitz transform electronics.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.