Which speaker build project?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Would like to do a speaker build, for good sounding bookshelf types similar to the LS3/5A vibe. Three options I am considering are:

Jeff Bagby's Continuum II kit. Continuum II Full Kit (Pair) - Meniscus Audio
Mr. Bagby's take on the LS3/5a if it were built modernly.

Falcon LS3/5a kit. The real deal. FALCON MINI-MONITOR FULL KIT C/W DRIVE UNITS & CROSSOVERS - BASED ON LS3/5A - C/W CHERRY CABINETS DRIVE UNITS & CROSSOVERS

Speedster: Something a little different. Heard some really nice sounding ones at Gig Harbor Audio. Beautiful look too. Speedster Full Kit (Pair) - Meniscus Audio (guts) gigharboraudioSpeedster Cabinets — gigharboraudioGig Harbor Audio (Cabinets) and of course there are other options for both items. Here is another Speedster option.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I think you can do so much better. Look at this combination:

SB Acoustics SB15NBAC30-8 5" Black Aluminum Cone Mid-bass

Perfect woofer for small sealed box. Goes lower than anything I have found in the small box, with very low distortion. Works great in the LS3/5A box, but plays lower with a little bit larger box.

Pair it with a tweeter in a wave guide to match the directivity at the crossover and reduce tweeter distortion.

Look at:
SEAS Prestige 27TBCD/GB-DXT (H1499) Tweeter

A few small speaker builds

Here are a few LS3/5 sized speakers I have experimented with.

The Dayton exotic, not a good match without using a subwoofer.
The 3/4" soft dome, OK but not great at the crossover.

Visaton tweeter on baffle. Higher distortion than expected for this price.

Visaton tweeter in waveguide, crossover much improved.

SB woofer in LS3/5A cabinet, bass OK. SB woofer in 20% larger cabinet, bass is great.

Attachments

• IMG_20180913_170406483.jpg
    IMG_20180913_170406483.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_20180622_222342494_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180622_222342494_HDR.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_6983.jpg
    IMG_6983.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 377
Would like to do a speaker build, for good sounding bookshelf types similar to the LS3/5A vibe. Three options I am considering are:

Jeff Bagby's Continuum II kit. Continuum II Full Kit (Pair) - Meniscus Audio
Mr. Bagby's take on the LS3/5a if it were built modernly.

Falcon LS3/5a kit. The real deal. FALCON MINI-MONITOR FULL KIT C/W DRIVE UNITS & CROSSOVERS - BASED ON LS3/5A - C/W CHERRY CABINETS DRIVE UNITS & CROSSOVERS

Speedster: Something a little different. Heard some really nice sounding ones at Gig Harbor Audio. Beautiful look too. Speedster Full Kit (Pair) - Meniscus Audio (guts) gigharboraudioSpeedster Cabinets — gigharboraudioGig Harbor Audio (Cabinets) and of course there are other options for both items. Here is another Speedster option.

Thoughts?

I was heading in the direction of the Continuum II also, but have found what I think is a better alternative for a small 2-Way. Dennis Murphy's CAOW1.

MurphyBlaster Productions

It doesn't attempt to be an LS3/5a type, but I don't see any great reason for that anyhow. This uses two excellent drivers - Seas CA15RLY and Hiquphon OW1. It has received consistently great reviews. There is no kit, so you have to order all the parts on your own and I estimate it will run about $200 more than the Continuum II.

Salk sells the same thing already built in very nice cabinet for $895/pair plus shipping. Called SongSurroundI, it might be one of the best deals around. It uses the Seas ER15 instead of the CA15, but apparently the difference is very small.

I've been thinking of going the DIY route for about $600 in parts, but once I add in the cost for plywood and finishing supplies plus my time, the price for the finished product is starting to be very attractive.

Still might go DIY. Haven't fully decided, yet. Lead time from Salk could be very long, several months, so that could be a deciding factor.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.