Micro Terror mod question (newbie, could be fun to scold me)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Quick and dirty way would be to add a series chain of 3 amp diodes in the positive supply. Each diode would lose around 0.7 volts across it and so 4 to 6 diodes should do the trick. Trial and error. Something like 1N5402 would be suitable.

If there is some kind of regulator or DC/DC convertor within the amp then 19 volts may be fine as it is.

I guess the highest current goes to the output chip. Check if it handles 19v. It will probably reduce the current consumption because of the increase in voltage or you will get a higher output.

Since you want to use a battery there is a better way to reduce the power dissipated.

For the preamp you can either power it with 19v and maybe increase the headroom (check the ICs and caps), or regulate it to 15v. This way you are not throwing 8 watts away, only the preamp consumtion.

Check the tube also, I guess it's wired for a 12v filament, which requires 150mA. There is probably already a voltage regulator to drop it to 12v.

I guess finding a 15v battery is even easier.

Hi,
Any way to mod a 19v DC drill battery to power it?
Take a look at this: DROK Waterproof DC Buck Converter Voltage Regulator 8-22V to 1-15V 5V 12V 3A Adjustable Output Power Supply Transformer: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

A modern switch-mode DC-DC converter will waste a lot less precious battery power than the simpler vintage approach of using a Zener diode (or string of Si diodes, or linear voltage regulator.) For pure DIY, the older analogue approaches are much simpler. But if you can buy a suitable switch-mode regulator for ten bucks, going that route makes sense to me.

-Gnobuddy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.