diyAudio

diyAudio (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/index.php)
-   Construction Tips (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/construction-tips/)
-   -   subwoofer surround adhesive (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/construction-tips/269106-subwoofer-surround-adhesive.html)

curtis73 3rd February 2015 01:45 PM

subwoofer surround adhesive
 
I found a few sorta related answers to this in a search, but most dealt with foam surrounds.

I have a 10" Kicker CV-R that came completely unglued. (surround separated from the basket) I think the motor is fine. I read that some of you recommend something like Loctite 411 for foam, would that recommendation hold true for Santoprene as well?

Cal Weldon 5th February 2015 11:02 PM

If it's a small area use contact cement. If the entire surround is loose this might be a nightmare as you only get one chance to do it right. Maybe someone else can chime in here.

TerryO 5th February 2015 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cal Weldon (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/construction-tips/269106-subwoofer-surround-adhesive-post4213124.html#post4213124)
If it's a small area use contact cement. If the entire surround is loose this might be a nightmare as you only get one chance to do it right. Maybe someone else can chime in here.

Hi Cal,

Dan Wiggins told me that some of the Lock-Tite adhesives worked very well on driver's surrounds, including Subwoofers.

Here you go, read both pages:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...nd-basket.html

Best Regards,
TerryO

curtis73 6th February 2015 12:26 AM

Ok, thanks guys. I'll give it a shot with contact cement or 411.

In hindsight, I recall trying to chase down a leak in that box. When I pressed on the cone I could hear the slightest whistle leak and I tried multiple times to seal the basket against the box. Now I'm thinking it was the beginning of the surround coming unglued.

jplesset 6th February 2015 02:07 AM

My surround replacement kits came with a small bottle of surround glue. It resembled standard "white glue" so closely I could not tell the difference. Worked fine. Yes, foam to metal basket.

geraldfryjr 6th February 2015 02:09 AM

Here is my solution for such repairs,

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/plana...ml#post2842877

jer :)

ashok 6th February 2015 04:20 AM

A few years ago a friend bought a cone repair kit for his sub.It came with a small bottle of glue. The glue was white in colour and looked and smelt like the white PVA wood glue we get locally. There is a fast set type which is slightly yellow in colour.
We have also used rubber based glues though it tends to curl up the foam or rubber surround before drying up. PVA worked very well.

jkuetemann 7th February 2015 12:13 AM

Aleene's Original Tacky Glue has worked well when I replaced a few surrounds a while ago. It looks like regular white glue but isn't quite the same. I've seen this recommendation a few time in different places.

Aleene's Original Tacky Glue

TerryO 7th February 2015 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkuetemann (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/construction-tips/269106-subwoofer-surround-adhesive-post4214489.html#post4214489)
Aleene's Original Tacky Glue has worked well when I replaced a few surrounds a while ago. It looks like regular white glue but isn't quite the same. I've seen this recommendation a few time in different places.

Aleene's Original Tacky Glue


Hi All,

The use of Aleene's Original Tacky-glue was originally a method developed and recommended over 20 years ago by the legendary Ed Heath on the old "Bass List". Ed was a crusty sort of guy that was constantly experimenting with various tweaks and mods as well as speaker construction. One really useful idea that Ed came up with was the use of Aleene's for repairing cuts in speaker surrounds.

Locate the cut and clean any dirt, etc. from the surround. Then from your home medical box unroll some surgical bandage guaze and cut a piece that will cover the cut with an overlap of at least 1/8 to a 1/4 inch all around the cut.
With a small artist's paint brush apply a thin coat of Aleene's around the tear working it in with no air bubbles. If it looks like you've covered it well, gently center your piece of guaze over the cut and gently use your brush to work the gauze into the layer of Aleene's. Once it is been worked a bit, apply a bit more Aleenes to insure that the pores of the gauze are filled with Aleene's. Let it sit for a couple of days, don't rush it...it needs to completely cure.

If the tear is in the CONE, use Aleene's and Christmas tissue paper to patch the cone. Several coats are necessay, which may be an initial "Primer" coat, then the tissue paper patch followed a couple of thin additional coats of Aleene's. Again give it a couple of days to cure. So far, I have never had a failure (including those done years ago!), nor has anyone told me of a failure after using this method!

I've posted this method on a number of forums, over nearly two decades and many have used this method to repair various drivers, including a fair number of high excursion Subwoofer drivers.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Real Russ 9th December 2018 06:32 PM

Glue surround to basket
 
I used gorilla glue (contact adhesive) clear grip.
Glued both sides on a 12" pioneer 3500 watt champion series pro TS-W3002D4 waited 3 min then clamped both sides together for 12 hours. Cure time is 24hrs. I can't pull em apart plugged it in and no separation problems.


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:38 PM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 17.65%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2019 diyAudio

Wiki