Beautiful Swingin' Speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Suspend speaker by swing is best one can do.
:)

Like to prove yourself ?

PB290110.jpg

P1230120.png

P1230122.png

P1230123.png

P1230126.png

P1230128.png

P1230134.png

P1230136.png

P1230139.png

Last edited:
Happy you like it!

Thought it might be be worth to put it all together to a complete manual - something not seen too often at diyaudio?

Actually it's been (and still is) kind a detour project to bring down the expensive system I'm developing on for years now to a more affordable level - so others can benefit from the outcome of my ideas about "dipole horn" and "impulse compensation" I came across over the course.
I really like to give credit to John Bsuch and panomaniac for the Manzanita thread, which gave the basis with respect to current mid-woofer and basic simplicity of OB compensation here.

Despite the somehow ugly look, I hope to trigger some interest in testing those concepts and get feedback and further input - and of course a loooot of pictures of any variant of swingin' speakers...

Michael

Last edited:
sorry, have no polars for this one "nude" or in OB available.
Based on the performance in the Gaussian Min Phase horn, I guess you will get considerably stronger beaming in the top end with the non-PDR version.
The felt inside the PDR-version is on both sides - so only horizontal polars are affected .

For my horn operating smooth, a reasonable flat wavefront is key though - top end beaming seems to be mostly related to horn and driver dimensions involved anyway.

Michael

I'm not 100% sure having the bass driver being able to "wag" the enclosure is a good idea. Much like a dog the tail gets the whole dogs body moving, which might well be the same with this. In which case it'll be wagging the tweeter to.

Looking at the previous post with the bass drivers solidly grounded & the high frequency driver seperated so as not to be excited by the bass driver reminds me (slightly) of the Roksan Darias - see below.

darius02.jpg

Nice implementation of the tweeter though, very nice work :)

Does suspended count as swinging?

Depends :)

Strictly speaking no, rubber suspension isn't a 100% substitute for swings - but - its kinda the right direction.

The basic idea behind swings is to let the driver move *as easily as possibly* to allow for complete impulse compensation by local mass.
"As easily as possibly" comes down to two tech specs if you investigate further
1.) resonance frequency (with respect to bandwidth in use)
2.) mechanic dampening

and - in the case of the "PrimaLuce", where the whole cabinet is hung - there is also the point of what can or can't be considered to be "local mass".

Point 1.) isn't in question here as with the weight of the mid cabinet and the relatively soft rubbers (plus some pendulum length) resonant frequency most certainly is down low enough.
Point 2.) is more questionable as those rubbers have some inner friction that might or might not provide friction thats independent to velocity.

So I believe in that he found benefits in suspending his mid and tweeter - but possibly it could have been improved by swings.

With OB, swings are especially easy to do.

When I rigged my speaker first, I got the wires from dipole horn and mid-bass touching each others (at the place where the mid-bass wires tunnel the horn) - and though I couldn't sense movement there I found the sound subtly improving by fixing this small friction zone.

Michael

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.