PSU mod Entech 205.2 dac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello PSU gurus,

This is my first post to this portion of the forum. I am not a psu kinda guy, so wanted some input. I recently acquired the above dac for short money and wanted to play. Unfortunately, I no one has the schematic - not even Monster who made the stuff!:smash:

One of the things I'm hoping to do is a PSU mod. The current setup is an ite rated walwart putting out 16v ac. It plugs into the case via standard size N coax plug. Rectifying is done on board.

My problem with the current setup is that it takes the pin leg of the walwart to create the + and - for various portions of the circuit, and uses the shield leg for the ground. The + and - then goes to different sections, each with it's own regulator pair (lm7815 and lm7915 for example).

The pin leg goes to 2 diodes, one for + and one for -. It is therefore half-wave rectification which, to me is half-*** rectification causing larger ripple, etc.:hot:

I was thinking that I could 'tap' into the shield leg, with 2 more diodes to the + and - thereby creating full rectification (hmmm...the more I type out the word, the wierder it sounds:D ).

Would this be a some kind of problem as far as grounding, noise, etc.? Or should I get a ct tranformer, take the two legs through a bridge or 4 diodes for the + and -, and use the ct for the ground?

If it helps, I have attached a drawing of the current setup and my proposed setup. Sorry, I'm not up to snuff at drawing schematics.:(

Any help greatly appreciated!

Wayne

Attachments

• supply3.jpg
    supply3.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 120
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.