Shunts psu`s what options are there?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As my cd player can use a little upgrade I`m considering putting in some shunts for the power supply.

I have heard of the tl431 which most people seem to use, but I came across this website : http://home.hccnet.nl/r.r.meijer/cdd/voeding/shuntvoeding.pdf

which uses bc 550 in his supply ?

So my question:

what options are there for making shunt regulated supplies?

And is it possible to make a shunt supply that can handle >200mA ?

The cd player I`m using is a Philips cd-pro2 and if possible I want to use shunts for everything -execpt the display ;-) -

As for shunt regulators with high current capability.
Yes it is fully possible but you need to keep in mind that the shunt needs to draw the difference between max and min powerconsumption of the circuit it is regulating as a minimum.
This will lead to a lot of lost energy if you have a varying load.

The shunt in the document could be modified to draw more current, changing the BC560 to a higher current type, might have to modify the would suffice, be warned though that it might oscillate.

As for the document. I wonder why the voltage drops after the 317 preregulator when loaded.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.