creating regulated ref V from a reg vcc

Hello,

I'm ready for a build that calls for both a regulated 24 volt and a regulated 12 volt for the circuit. I have on hand an all in one 24 volt regulated supply but will need to create the reference 12 volt from this supply.

I was hoping some of you might steer me in the direction of how to look at providing the circuit with a regulated 12 volts.

While certainly not being any expert in circuit design, I entertained the possibility of first using an 18 volt regulator as the first stage, then feeding the 18 volt regulator output into a 12 volt regulator. This was an attempt to not give each regulator an input voltage that would create alot of heat dissipation, that 2 regulators could share the dissipation as the 12 volt regulated voltage was created.

I realize this is probably silly but, since this a one off project, I figured I could afford to be silly while hopefully being more nice to the regulators giving me the 12 volt regulated reference voltage along with the 24 volt regulated supply voltage.

Is this any kind of a workable solution?

thank you for your input.
Best,
Phil Donovan

ref voltage considerations

Thanks kodabmx.

I wouldn't expect much more than 50-100mA, so I'm sure its covered easily on the current. I know it all amounts to the same heat but, having never implimented a 78xx type voltage regulator for anything but an AC input only a handful of ac volts above the regulator output, I wanted to make sure I wasn't getting myself in trouble. I figured a couple of regulators separated in space even with their own private heatsink would just be cheap insurance, even if potentially unnecessary cheap insurance.

Also, I felt the need to ponder if these common regulators are happy with DC inputs as long as a max Vin isn't exceeded. It looks as though I should be fine using a single 7812 regulator. If these are rated as a standard with ac peak volts then, hmmm, (24 - 12) x 1.414 = 17 volts) So, if I'm close on this the 7812 would be seeing to what amounts to be 17 volts higher that its regulated output. That just seemed like alot, so figured I'd share some of that extra heat with a couple of down-steppiing regulators.

Thanks for the input,

Phil donovan

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
When a 2 x 12V transformer would be used things would work out with less heat. Most transformers have 2 windings. Or an extra 12V 250 mA transformer can be added. Low cost, more elegant.

Are there special requirements like low noise?

Last edited:
12vdc from 24vdc

Hi Jean-Paul.

This is ultimately for my pedal board (that plugs into my DIY guitar tube amps)

The next pedal I am building runs off 2 discreet DC voltages, 24 and 12.

I already have a self contained 24 vdc regulated supply - a gift from my job all -in-one regulated 24vdc power supply. Nice little 2" x 1" box.

I need create a regulated 12 vdc from this little box. It seemed that something simple like a 12 volt regulator circuit would somehow do. I just wanted to make sure I didn't overlook any elements of my strategy in doing so. This is going into a box I made with 8 other simple 9vdc power supplys so I thought I'd make sure I wasn't creating too much heat for one regulator to handle.

I think I'll be alright with this. The first thing was to make sure that 78xx type regulators have no problem with a pure DC input - which it looks like they don't. I always make myself worry about things that I don't know!

Thank you,
Best,
Phil Donovan

dc to dc

OK, I see what you are saying, of course - there are always rectifier caps before hitting the input of the regulator. That was a total brain phoof. Sorry.

This is just my lack of experience having never fed a regulated dc output from one regulator into the input of another. Its becoming obvious now that I shouldn't have assumed that as a potential problem. That's my mental error.

Thank you!

Phil