Help with PSU design. +/-18v / 48v / 12v / 5v

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

Greetings to all that read this. I am modding my current PSU design to add a 5v output. I have a few questions concerning the best way to design it.

Basic details:

Toroidal TRX 50va 36v / CT

OUTPUT 1 = 48v supply from TRX sec. Charge pump to TL783 + misc
OUTPUT 2/3 = +/- 18v from full wave rect. CRC - 7818 / 7918 +misc
Output 4 = sub tap after 18v bridge diode. - Dropping R - 7812

Now to the needed 5v. This will pull about .5 - 1 Amp so should I just run another bridge rect. off the TRX sec, then filter (CRC?) then just 7805 it? I mean that would work, but wondering if there is a smarter way than just multi tapping 1 transformer with various 78XX regs?

See attached PDF. The proposed 5v supply is on the top just glued onto everything else

Attachments

• PSU_1 - Schematic.pdf
    81.1 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Assuming the center tap of the transformer is grounded, the bridge rectifier is shorting out each side of that transformer for half the cycle so this will just blow a fuse or the bridge rectifier. You can cut the negative pin on D16 or remove D16 and just connect to the + pin on D7.
Since you have a such a high voltage (~25VDC) to waste in order to get down to 5V, you should buy a buck converter module from Amazon etc. (cheap and simple) as a pre-regulator if not the whole 5V regulator. The buck converter will give you 25/5 times the 5V current that you draw from the 25VDC, and very little heat.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.