How to add variable regustor to make this HV ADJUSTABLE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For example transformer of 300vac-0 to get output vary between 275vdc-330vdc

Attachments

• 300 PSU.jpg
    300 PSU.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
The issue is that while pots used for the 249R or (33k+47K) would make the voltage variable, this circuit uses large resistors and a normal pot would overheat. Also, min and max voltages may not be ideal. These circuits use odd parts that are not necessary in this application. LV (Elvee) has a post on DIYA for a similar application that is a better design. A simpler circuit is not difficult but would not perform as well as LV's. Certainly you will want to work with a HV MOSFET because that allows high resistance pots and resistors that don't get hot.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/330193-elektr-true-voltage-lab-supply-truly-diy-friendly.html#post5606157

Last edited:
33k+47k 5watts. Question is lower resistors value mean lower output voltage? How to calculate?
But the answer is in LD1086 datasheet (the same as for LM317):
Vout = 1.25× (R1/R2 + 1).
R2 = 249 R. You may increase this resistor value (up to 500-750 R) to increase proportionally R1 value, to lower power dissipation. This is ok if you have some small load (few mA) at its output. (For example, a 1 mA LED may be as such a load).

Last edited:
I was thinking you need to buy a ready made power supply because an efficient variable supply means a switch-mode supply and clearly you are not into something that complicated. But searching Amazon, the only thing I found is a ~12V to 390V inverter which is not high power.
However an ad gave me the idea that what you need is a Variac, variable transformer, from which you can run a simple power supply with none of the problems that these circuit suffer from.

Amazon.com: YaeCCC Auto Voltage Transformer AC Variable Voltage Converter Transformer 110VAC Input, 0-130VAC (500W): Industrial & Scientific

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.