Find the value of the source resistance atx BM-650W ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good luck with that, you'll probably need it.

That has got to be the cheapest, nastiest ATX power supply I've seen in a long while. The board calls it an "ATX-320", which is probably a more accurate representation of its power capabilities. Input filtering appears to be absolutely minimal - the otherwise usual common-mode choke has been done away with, and I see one part that may be other a MOV or a line capacitor. (This one probably would not pass EMI regulations in many areas of the world.) The heatsink is not what I would call massive either.

It's pretty amazing that someone would still have been designing something like this in 2012, the specs suggest more like 2004 to me. Only 10 A on +12 V? An FSP / Sparkle FSP250-60PFN from the early 2000s (nominal 250 W) is specified with 13 A! No combined power spec in sight either.

I would suggest finding a higher-quality replacement, even if it's an older one that might need a new capacitor or two. This thing is just garbage right out of the factory.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.