Minimizing rectification spikes in transformer secondary?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Do you have part details? Does the alternator include a rectifier/regulator or is that separate? Are you aiming to change the rectifier/regulator, or build your own?

I think you're going down the rabbit hole a bit. When I said old dirt bike, I meant OLD. It's a 6V, AC only system. The only things on it are a CDI module and incandescent lights, no battery. It's simple enough to make a DC supply for LED lights, but I am worried that the CDI module could be impacted by rectifier spikes.

It's taken 22 posts to get that background information.

I would highly doubt any CDI module would be impacted by adding some accessory bridge diode with light DC loading on it. I would be more worried about the use of schottky diodes, and making sure you had diodes that could survive spikes from the ignition.

Since you've insisted on derailing my thread, would you be so kind as to provide technical backup, rather than just hand waving?

Schottky diodes have a reputation for not having much voltage margin above their spec rating. I haven't looked recently but there may be devices with enhanced 'automotive spike' capabilities. Options for AC side are a MOV, although you then need to have a way to identify if the MOV has degraded. Another simple option is back-to-back zeners which will be more definite in hard peak voltage clipping.

If you had a digital scope then you could acquire spike data to clarify what your system experiences with your existing loads (when turned on and off).

Any added bridge and capacitor filter for DC supply would also act as an AC voltage clamp.

LED lights aren’t that much of a load. Put up with the extra voltage drop of 1N4007’s and know that ignition spikes just won’t be a problem. Won’t take much filter capacitance, either - you will probably get more filtering from the inductance of the winding.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member

Attachments

• 50W-Zener-42.gif
    50W-Zener-42.gif
    48.9 KB · Views: 169
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.