Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

dual secondary transformer connection ?
dual secondary transformer connection ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2020, 03:23 PM   #11
Kay Pirinha is offline Kay Pirinha  Germany
diyAudio Member

First connect both secondaries in parallel, i.e. connect dot to dot, CT to CT and non-dot to non-dot. Then connect the rectifier's 1st ~ terminal to the dotted secondary terminal and the 2nd one to the non-dotted one. Connect both electrolytics in series, as you've done it yet. Connect the jumper between both 'lytics to the CT's, connect the rectifire's + terminal to the upper 'lytic's + terminal and the rectifier's - terminal to the lower 'lytic's - terminal. Thus the + terminals will show +35 Vdc at idle and the - terminals will show -35 Vdc wrt CT/jumper.
Best regards!
Old 14th January 2020, 03:48 PM   #12
Ketje is offline Ketje  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Mona
Attached Images
File Type: jpg as.JPG (33.3 KB, 99 views)
Old 14th January 2020, 06:57 PM   #13
FauxFrench is offline FauxFrench  France
diyAudio Member

For 35Vdc-0-35Vdc I propose this. The two set of windings are joined after two rectifier bridges in order to avoid cross-currents.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TwoSetWindigsParallel.jpg (21.7 KB, 88 views)
Old 14th January 2020, 07:02 PM   #14
FauxFrench is offline FauxFrench  France
diyAudio Member

Please look in the other thread you recently started.
Old 14th January 2020, 09:10 PM   #15
Rick PA Stadel is offline Rick PA Stadel  United States
diyAudio Member

Your Fig 2 will give exactly the +/-35 V you want.

By the way, if you only have one working bridge on hand, it will work that way, too. There will be folks on here who consider it inferior (from an audiophile viewpoint), but only a few years ago that solution was standard.

Just curious -- what was it about Fig 1 that made you think that you needed that specifically?

Regards

std_dual_sec_bipol_PS.jpg

Last edited by Rick PA Stadel; 14th January 2020 at 09:14 PM.
Old 14th January 2020, 09:19 PM   #16
Rick PA Stadel is offline Rick PA Stadel  United States
diyAudio Member

Oops -- my 'drawing' will give you twice the voltage you need.

Next time I'll try to think faster and type slower ..

Sorry ...
Old 15th January 2020, 12:26 PM   #17
Mark Tillotson is offline Mark Tillotson
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
First connect both secondaries in parallel, i.e. connect dot to dot, CT to CT and non-dot to non-dot. Then connect the rectifier's 1st ~ terminal to the dotted secondary terminal and the 2nd one to the non-dotted one. Connect both electrolytics in series, as you've done it yet. Connect the jumper between both 'lytics to the CT's, connect the rectifire's + terminal to the upper 'lytic's + terminal and the rectifier's - terminal to the lower 'lytic's - terminal. Thus the + terminals will show +35 Vdc at idle and the - terminals will show -35 Vdc wrt CT/jumper.
Best regards!

Its wise to sanity-check the winding polarity before paralleling any set of secondary windings. First connect one end of each winding together, leaving the other ends free. Power up and measure the AC volts between the open ends - should be zero, or as close to zero as makes no difference. If you get the polarity wrong this will be obvious. If the windings don't have the same number of turns this will result in a small difference voltage.

If you know the DC resistance of the windings you can estimate whether a small voltage difference is a problem. The circulating current in parallel connection will be the voltage difference you measured divided by the sum of the winding resistances. This should be a lot less than the winding's actual current rating.
Old 18th January 2020, 09:59 AM   #18
dorsetpaul is offline dorsetpaul
diyAudio Member

thank's guy's for your info after not having much free time to work on amp lately but did a few try's and what ever way i connect i blow Rectifier's (KBPC5010) i ended up using my in inline bulb to limit power on start up and all seem's to power up with out blowing Rectifier's and the power draw when swich on was about 0.47 amps which seem's to be low to damage Rectifier's plus there is a soft start circuit board fitted.
i was able to dismantle the Rectifier and found the diode's inside was 1N1336 but can't seem to find much info on them

dual secondary transformer connection ?Hide this!Advertise here!