SMPS800RE, low resistance where it should be inf?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just unpacked a new (been in its box in a couple of years) SMPS800RE from Connex.

I have mounted it in the chassis, connected earth on primary side to chassis and took some resistance measurements. (no other component connected)

Primary side: inf ohm between -v, gnd and +v
AUX1 and 2: inf ohm.

Secondary side:
Earth-ground and -v: 5k+*
Earth-ground and +v: 5k+ *
GND and -v: 2k+ *
GND and earth-ground: 4.65k (exactly)
-v and +v: 5k+

Primary earth and secondary -v: 6k+ *
Primary earth and secondary +v: 6k+ *
Primary earth and secondary earth: 4.65k (exactly)
Primary -v and secondary -v, gnd, +v: no connection
Primary +v and secondary -v, gnd and +v: no connection

* The numbers increase to about 15.5k ohm in a timeframe of 15seconds.

Is this how it is supposed to be? I was expecting to not get any resistance readings, being there should not be any measurable connection?

Just unpacked a new (been in its box in a couple of years) SMPS800RE from Connex.....................................

If you use PostNord it may take a while for delivery. However, "a couple of years" is in the high end.:D

* The numbers increase to about 15.5k ohm in a timeframe of 15seconds.
Is this how it is supposed to be? I was expecting to not get any resistance readings, being there should not be any measurable connection

When you get impedance readings that steadily increase for a while it is because you are charging a capacitor with your measuring current. That is no problem.
SMPS may include resistors on the secondary side that you will notice when you measure impedance on the secondary terminals.
I do not have that particular SMPS but I have spotted nothing I see as problematic.
Perhaps a set of last measurements from all primary terminals and to earth-ground. You must get "inf".

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
There's no "infinity ohms". For line to secondary you should normally get more than the 2Meg limit of common meters.

All the DC outputs will have capacitors, and can have voltage-dividers or (in-)active devices hanging on them. A truly "very high" reading would be unlikely.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.