Power Supply Caps Bad - What's the Cause?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Everyone- Opened up my network streamer tonight to just look around and discovered that 8 capacitors on the power supply board are bad....leaked everywhere. I'm capable of replacing them but am curious if there is a greater problem with the unit. The device is maybe 4-5 years old. Seems a little early for those to go bad but I'm a novice with this stuff and would appreciate any input.
Thanks.

Sometimes a bad lot of caps gets produced. About 12 years ago I had a 3 year old Dell computer with a bunch of bad caps. I did a google on this and found something about Dell geting a huge batch of caps that were failing early. Oh not bad enough to force a recall
just be a pain in the *** for customers with out of warranty dead boards.

Thanks for the responses!

I'm having a tough time getting a decent picture. But the caps I'm referring to are in the foreground. I don't think it's glue as none of the other caps in the unit show any sign of this substance. Almost looks like someone spilled a coke on the these sections.

If this is actually bad capacitor, it's sort of a revelation to me, as several months ago I had trouble with the noise floor in my system. I communicated several times with the maker of the unit, because I thought I had a ground issue. I never fully resolved the issue, just wrote it off as something to live with. Now having seen this, perhaps this is the culprit. I ordered $6 bucks of replacements last night, and I'm gonna do the replacement.

Messed up my previous attachment.

Attachments

• 1019191625.jpg
    1019191625.jpg
    869.9 KB · Views: 171
Aha...I'll leave them be, then.

Why would the manufacturer glue just a handful of caps and not the rest? There are several other caps on the power supply board that have nothing on them. Are there critical caps for a component that require extra TLC?

Thanks again for all the input!

If it's Rubycon, they're probably fine. But the photo is not in focus.
If it's Rukycon (yes, really!) they're cheap, bad quality knock-offs.

However, 4-5 years can wear out even good capacitors in a badly ventilated design.

Attachments

• 1000-25.jpg
    1000-25.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Aha...I'll leave them be, then.

Why would the manufacturer glue just a handful of caps and not the rest? !

Only the heavier / bigger ones need to be fixed such that they can't move after pick-and-place and during soldering. This is all done by machines, not by hand.
Also the glue protects the heavier parts from breaking loose - rough handling while shipped or by the customer. Solder joints could break under harsh acceleration ...

The ones close to board edge are easy and all got glue, some inductors also, as well as a couple midboard, but I also see 3 or 4 long skinny ones *tilted* at random angles (definitely not pushed against PCB before soldering) as well as a similar condition inductor, there may be more: those also *need* some glue around or they´ll be the first to crack their legs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.