UA78M33CDCY regulator problem....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey out there,

I got a problem, i need 3,3 volt for a mems microphone test, so got some small SMD version (SOT223) UA78M33CDCY voltage regulators.
They are connected the standard way, 0,1 nF to ground on output, and 0,33 nF on DC input to ground, and i also had a 560 ohm resistor on output to ground to ensure some current draw.

Here is the problem, it regulates fine to 3,3 volt at input supply voltage betveen 5 to 11 volt, but above 12 volt in, it suddenly raise output voltage dramatically, 5, 6,7 volt, and then often burn off, sending input voltage directly to output.......
As i can read from datasheet, these regulators shoul be able to take Vin from 5 to 25 volt........so why are mine crashing above only 12 volt?

Well, i draw 5 mA by means of the 560 ohm resistor on the 3,3 volt regulated output, so the regulator do not even gets warm.
I also tried without the 560 ohm load, and the same happen, when the input voltage exceed 11-12 volt, the output start to go much above 3,3 volt.....and burn off.

Hi nigelwright,
Thanks for the input.
Am i right the these 3,3 volt regulators, according to datasheet, should be able input voltage up to around 20 volt?
I have looked on the AC noise on the output, i did not see a lot.
Again, when i reach 14 volt in.......the output jump from 3,6 volt to 7volt, what de you think is wrong?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Have you a large land for a heat sink? No heat sink and the current is very limited.

That would drop the output, not raise it. I looked at the data sheet, and the max Vin is 35V. However, IF they are fake, that spec may be a lot lower.

One thing to check is whether it oscillates, 0.1u at the output is really too low. Oscillating output can look like a large DC output when measured with a regular DC voltmeter.

Try a regular 10uF at the output, at least then you know it is stable.

Jan

Last edited:
Hi nigelwright,
Thanks for the input.
Am i right the these 3,3 volt regulators, according to datasheet, should be able input voltage up to around 20 volt?
I have looked on the AC noise on the output, i did not see a lot.
Again, when i reach 14 volt in.......the output jump from 3,6 volt to 7volt, what de you think is wrong?

You need to look up the spec for your regulator.
3v3 regulators vary a lot.
From 5 volt input low drop outs to standard higher input voltage.

I would recommend buying them from a reputable dealer like RS Components or Farnell.
There is so much ebay and Chinese fakery around now.

Your UA78M33CDCY does have up to 25 volts input.
So could be wrong decoupling caps making it unstable.
Fake device ?

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Jan,
I checked the output with my Rigol 1054 scope....no crazy oscilation, it just jump from 3,6 volt to 7 volt when i raise the input dc from 12 volt to 14 volt......idid try to connect a 10 uF on the output.....still the strange jump.

The thing is that this behaviour is to be expected when you exceed the allowed maximum input voltage (or rather the max input-output difference). But the data sheet I looked at put that max at 35V.
I know there are differences between manufacturers in this spec. Do you know the manufacturer of your chip? Then we could verify the data sheet on the max Vin spec.

Then again, you could use it with no more than 10V input and presumably all would be well.

Jan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.