6v 5AH SLA AGM battery dead but being revived possibly?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I suggest that once the battery is full, leave it alone about a full day, check again for the voltage and then run an equalizing charge. That is, give a brief shock of voltage and current so as to equalize the charge in all cells (3 in your case). Check in the manufacturer's web page if there is info about how to do it.

I know how to equalize but I read AGM batteries cant be equalized the same way as flooded/wet SLA batteries.

the closest I can get is to keep it at 15v with limited current for a few hours. that should be able to slowly equalize it without the gas escaping much.
the manufacture has nothing about desulfating or equalization because its an no name brand battery. (generic brand that only cells batteries to another company that comes already inside a product)

Now the voltage is over 7v!! its getting close to full now. battery charger says 3027mAh put into the battery so far! thats a good recovered capacity! very usable! And its not even finished charging yet. it'll likely get over 4 amp hours of capacity thats not bad considering how dead it was

edit: a while later and the current is starting to drop. i see 0.9A on the battery charger when it was at 1.0A before. its getting even closer to full now. so excited cant wait.

Last edited:
I charged the battery up fully and just let it sit overnight resting and checked the voltage this morning
its holding strong at 6.623!
when running a half an amp load it barely drops 0.1 of a volt after a minute of being on. and settles down around 6.48v
when i took it off after 5 minutes the voltage sprang up to 6.54v
it seems to work pretty fully

Smart charger

one of these
Amazon.com: B6 80W smart battery charger lipo nimh nicd
I recommend being EXTRA careful with the gold colored ones. as they can blow up if you misuse them or use them without care. i recommend putting a 10A fuse between it and your power source if your running off a beefy power supply or battery.
the gold colored ones do have more "extra" features though.

Ta, very much indeed. Appreciate the advice.

Sulfation is never fully recoverable, lead acid batteries should be regularly charged to 100% during storage (once a month at least, whatever the datasheet says, otherwise you will forget to do it!). Basically they are a lot of faff to maintain, forget about one for 6 months and its virtually useless.

For a vehicle in regular use they are fine since they are always left at 100% charge and never neglected.

I just found another one! identical battery. 6v 5AH in slightly better condition it seems too. using the resistor and 12v source it started at around 10.5v and then quickly over 5 minutes dropped to about 7v and still dropping quickly. (measuring at the battery being charged not the 12v battery)
I used two 150ohm resistors in parallel.
It was the same kind of powerwheels pink kids car thing as before. looked like the same model but it was just thrown in a big ditch/river
i had to clean some gunk off the battery first though and just rinse it all off in the sink. seems to be taking a charge quite a bit better though. charging right up.

I got another free 6v battery! Could hook them together in series if this one turns out to be good as well. and have a 12v battery!
pretty sweet what you can find just thrown away and laying around that just needs a tune up or put to a new use!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.