Diagnosing static

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I am not very technical and I am looking for some advice on diagnosing some static in my system.

My system consists of a Hafler DH 200 which was modified by musical concepts, who also bench tested the unit when I purchased it last year and gave it a clean bill of health

I have an MFA Magus tube preamplifier which I bought used locally from a reputable audio store. It has an outboard power supply. I do not have paperwork but I was told that it also was gone through by one of the major stereo repair places such as United audio.

What I’m experiencing is low volume, irregular static through the right channels only. When I switch the Preamp cables going to the power amp, the static moves from the right to the left which indicates to me that it is originating with the preamplifier. Also, when I shut the preamp off but leave the power amp on the static goes away.

The front controls on the preamplifier fairly simple there is an input selector, the volume knob, a right and left again and toggles for take monitor and mono.

There is no relationship between any of the front controls on the preamplifier to the quality of the static.

Any advice that you can offer would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Oh crap, it looks like I have another issue that is not going to be easily fixed. I was gently trying to push the selector switch back into the unit so that I could deoxit because it has been crackling. I broke the single red wire off of the selector switch.

Now none of the input jacks are working.

Not sure if I’m going to be able to find a schematic for this, it is the A2 model. I have searched the web with no luck.

Somebody posted a B model schematic to this forum but I don’t know how close they are.

So I deoxited the input selector. I know where the red wire goes so I used an alligator clip to temporarily connect it. I’m a newb but I think I will be able to solder it.

Before, the static was coming from the right channel. Now I hear just a little bit of background hiss out of both channels equally and perhaps just a little bit of hum on the left. To be fair that’s with my ear in front of the speaker.

It appears that my tubes are stock, they are marked “Gold Aero Especially Made for MFA.”

I’m thinking new tubes may be the first thing I try to get a quieter background.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.