How to dismantle a SMPS transformer?

Oke thanks guy,s I do not now the switching frequenties because I did get the transformers a time ago from a board where already the controllers was gone.

But I have still the windings on and I have a inductie meter. Unfortanely I can not disassemble the transformers, the gleu do not soften in boiling water. one is already broken.

I saw the gleu is quite hard, these I can not get dismantled yet. Need some kind of gleu softener.

I go make a half bridge for hybrid tube amp supply, multiply voltages, exclusive the mosfet output stage..

The glue used for the core is often an epoxide-based or urea/formaldehyde or similar type, and can have an incredible resistance to heat, solvents etc.
It is always possible to salvage the ferrite, with enough heat or aggressive solvents like dichloromethane, chloroform, panasolve, etc. but the coil former will be ruined, as well as the windings and insulating layers.
The advice given by @JMFahey is the best: heat slightly above 100C, and exert some pulling/bending force between the two halves, but if it doesn't work, you will have to resort to more violent methods

Actually, when the paint stripper still had enough methylene chloride in it to work on transformer varnish, it had no effect on a nylon bobbin, and definitely wouldn't touch a phenolic bobbin, either. PBT is another material commonly used for bobbins - I won't vouch for its resistance to methylene chloride.

For salvaging and re-use in non-audio projects, I just used the boiling water trick I learned from a YT video. It worked well.

I am stocked up on computer SMPSes from my ex-neighbour who had his Computer Repair Store right next door. Of course, he never wanted to repair either motherboards or the PSUs, so I obtained those for free.

Reactions: 1 user