reusing salvaged transformer with 3 secondary winding's & amp, advice needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've already modified the salvaged 7 channel amplifier as it was very modular and easy to understand into a 4 channel (to use in a stereo Bi-amped setup) and using the remaining output transistor's in parallel for driving high current into a low impedance subwoofer and got it all working as expected (using a total of 14 pair's of 2sa1962 / 2sc5242 :D

So moved on to finish the power supply modification's but unfortunately i was wrong about the Onkyo transformer it appears to have 3 secondary winding's providing 3 different voltages to the amplifier stage all split rail out, +/-24Vac Gray Wires, +/-33Vac Yellow wires and finally +/-48Vac and a common black wire centre tapped rail coming from the transformer and the +/-24Vac is hard wired straight to it's own rectifier then to the B+/B- of the amplifier,s reservoir capacitors, then the +/-33Vac is controlled by 2 relay's again going through it's own rectifier before connecting to the same B+/B- of the amplifier,s reservoir capacitors and the same is repeated for the +/-48Vac with it's own pair of relay's and rectifier before connected to the B+/B- of the amplifier,s reservoir capacitors,

would this be used when you set the speaker's ohm's rating's or required power power output and how do i stand having all 3 supply's connected at once for extra current as that's what's thrown me all being different voltages and the lower +/-24Vac supply is constantly connected and the other two are relay controlled ?

Scrap's my idea of using the different winding's to power different channel's for left and right as i wrongly presumed they was all the same adding up to more current output capability however what's peoples ideas on using this setup with 2 higher controllable voltages to power 4 channel's aimed at Bi-amping a stereo pair of speaker's and i'll just add to the already 18'000uf reservoir capacitors and drive the remaining modified channel's run in parallel from the separate +/-65Vdc power supply
would this be of any use in my application ?

i may just use a 3 way switch on the rear of the enclosure once i've found one for power output rating of Low, Medium and High output wattage because that's the only thing i can think of doing with it ?

Any ideas please ??

Last edited:
in fact with more deeper investigation with a test meter it appear's to be different tap's of the same secondary winding providing different voltages controlled by relay's,

any idea's why ? benefit's of doing this please as it's the first time i've come across it in a project where i need a basic understanding of why and how best to use it if at all ?

would it serve at providing different wattage output's into different load's ? 4-8-16 ohms

cheer's

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.