Do PFC modules for non-SMPS exist?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm thinking about using a class II (double insulated) 50Hz transformer and I was wondering if you could use a PFC module on the secondary side between the rectifier and the smoothing caps to avoid having to derate the current capability of the transformer.

I searched for low voltage PFC modules or circuit ideas, but couldn't find much.

Power Factor Correction is used on the primary side of heavily inductive switch mode power supplies to bring the current drawn in phase with the voltage supply. It will be to no advantage on the secondary of any sort of supply.

Perhaps PFC is the wrong term?
I would like to broaden/flatten the rectifier 100Hz current pulses to reduce the transformer I squared power losses.

I haven't seen it done commercially, but I have done it several times, with success, although the PFC role wasn't preeminent: it came as a side advantage.
I have published a few HV examples on this forum:
Flexible supply idea
High Voltage Variable Supply on a Shoestring

They all use the leakage inductance as an implicit inductor, which simplifies the design, but it is of course always possible to use a regular inductor as a substitute or supplement.

I have also used the same concept for more conventional (low-voltage) supplies, but I don't think I published them (they are more straightforward and therefore less interesting)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.