Off-The-Shelf Linear PS for Pi?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There are lots of cheap Chinese linear psu's on eBay. I used a couple of adjustable ones on a past dac project and they worked out great. You can get them preassembled, just need to get a suitable transformer. It is a relatively cheap experiment, worst case you would be out 40 bucks or so.

$925 for the Uptone PSU, if I didn't know better I'd think advantage was being taken of people's fear and ignorance
I really doubt you would be able to hear any difference, with any I2S DAC currently on sale. What DAC do you want to use? I2S or USB ?

That's a really good point.

Since I'm not as deeply into this as you guys are, I look to this community for advice. What seems to happen all too frequently, however, is that questions like mine tend to draw snarky and otherwise useless replies when all we're looking for is some usable information.

Anyway, I think this question has run its course. Thanks for your input!

The raspberry pi has protection circuitry on the incoming 5v to make it more idiot proof. In several applications i've had to apply power directly to the 5v connection on the 40 pin header to bypass this. Any 5V 2A linear supply should handle it alright
Well, idiot-proof is definitely what I need. :eek:

I'm not comfortable with unsoldering the pins, I'd rather connect using the USB plug spliced to an AC adapter.

My earlier question got lost in the sauce.

Do you think one of the Meanwell RS-15-5 units would be enough to power both the Pi and DAC separately, or would I need two? I can de-couple the DAC power from the Pi on the HiFiBerry by removing the resistor (jumper) at R14 and they now provide a separate 2-pin power input on the board. I would think it'd be fine since the Meanwell can power the Pi/DAC together via the USB. Just wondering if I'd be running any risks.

Thanks!

I think I know what your issue is. Typically a raspberry Pi will draw in the neighbourhood of 500mA. The only reason I can think of that separate power supplies would affect the DAC is if the Pi cant deliver enough current out the USB port. I am assuming your are using USB? RPI can only deliver a max of 500 out the USB port. Check your DAC to see what it requires. 5V power supplies are dirt cheap. But before buying two add up your current needs and go from there. If your DAC needs less than 500mA then you are fine.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.