Can i build amplifiers power supplies with microwave's transformer's ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
... my guess is that an amplifier psu is good for both cases ( powering an amplifier or powering something that requires a straith dc signal ( having in consideration the current limitations ))... And it's the other way around that is not possible some times. I'm correct, right ?

... i know that it is possible, but is appropriate ? Will it give good stability ?

Last edited:
Yes, but my question now is a little bit different. My question now escapes a little to the main theme of the thread. My question now is: can a amplifier psu be used to build, per example, a symmetrical adjustable psu ? ... To be used to feed various devices ( devices that requires dc supply ) ... If so, it would be a stable psu ? Are the transformers found in amplifier psu's approppriate for this ?

Thanks.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
MOTs serve as excellent inductive loads for SE Class A amps to almost double the output voltage swing via magnetic storage of energy.

They are used extensively in the MoFo amp and seem to measure and sound excellent. They are air gapped to increase linearity at high currents. They are inexpensive compared to purpose built chokes of similar rating.

See here:
Build This MoFo!

649041d1512252857-build-mofo-mofo-67mh-1-7amp-2-83vrms-8ohms-fft-png

Max 28.8Vpp into 8ohms from a 19V rail. Magic!
649235d1512320583-build-mofo-max-output-unclipped-oscope-jpg

Thanks, but that's not what i'm asking... Now i'm asking if i can use an amplifier psu to provide a constant straith line dc signal to power up something that requires a dc signal...

Can we remove the psu from an amplifier that we have and give it other uses ? Like building an adjustable and symmetrical power supply ? Will it be a straith line stable dc signal ? Are the transformers found in amplifiers psu approppriate for this ?

Thank You

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, PSU trafos in power amps can be very good for making linear SC power supplies for other uses.

The MOT is a special transformer with high current and 1000x step up. It is lethal if you don’t know what you are doing. Not meant for making normal voltages below 50v normally useful for electronics. Great if you need a multiple kV power supply though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.