12V battery powering amplifier with a bridge rectifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am building a speaker cabinet with a TDA2030a 2.1ch amp which has a recommended 12VAC-0-12VAc power supply & utilizes a 4A/ 600V bridge rectifier and two 6800uF 25V capacitors. I understand the bridge rectifier converts the AC power to DC; & the capacitors smooth out voltage fluctuations; but is it possible to connect a bridge rectifier to a DC power supply?
Would it be possible to connect the amp directly to a 12V car battery? If so, should I connect the negative battery terminal to the ground AC input and the positive battery terminal to both of the two positive AC inputs or just one positive input?
Would it be beneficial to remove the bridge rectifier or bypass it by soldering the 12V battery wires into the circuit board after it?
Thanks

Joined 2011
I am building a speaker cabinet with a TDA2030a 2.1ch amp which has a recommended 12VAC-0-12VAc power supply & utilizes a 4A/ 600V bridge rectifier and two 6800uF 25V capacitors. I understand the bridge rectifier converts the AC power to DC; & the capacitors smooth out voltage fluctuations; but is it possible to connect a bridge rectifier to a DC power supply?
Would it be possible to connect the amp directly to a 12V car battery? If so, should I connect the negative battery terminal to the ground AC input and the positive battery terminal to both of the two positive AC inputs or just one positive input?
Would it be beneficial to remove the bridge rectifier or bypass it by soldering the 12V battery wires into the circuit board after it?
Thanks

You will need two batteries, and have to bypass the bridge.

Tap into the supply rails just after the bridge rectifier.
Bring these two tappings and the Power Ground tapping to a DC power input socket.
Any three pin plug and socket will do, but better if it can't be confused with any other 3 pin plug/sockets you use.

Make up a battery cable with 4 battery terminal fixings at one end going to the 3pin plug.

XLR, DIN, Speakon, are all suitable. There are many others, 3pin or 4pin.

TRS shorts across the tip and ring and across ring and sleeve as you insert and as you withdraw.
That temporary shorting could damage the battery and/or the amplifier.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.